am I being un-reasonable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ewulls01, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ewulls01 macrumors newbie

So I just got my new MacBook Pro... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it!!!

I noticed the other day that it was a little wobbly on my counter. Figuring it was the surface I just ignored it. I found out later that it didn't really matter where I put it, the thing just wobbles. After taking a closer look with the lid shut the right side (from the front) is completely flush but the left side is about an 1/8th of an inch cracked open. The gap gets progressively smaller as it goes to the right side.

To me it looks as though the entire computer is just a little tweaked and therefore causing the wobble on flat surfaces. Now understand that it probably isn't as TERRIBLE as I think but I just spent $2000 on a computer!

Sooooo..... 2 questions:

1) should I take it back and see if they will exchange it (I think this is a no-brainer....of course!!)

2) I bought the computer brand new from Amazon and just got it 3 days ago. Will the Apple store replace it for me or will I have to go to Amazon? I will not accept a refurb as I don't think having the computer for 3 days deserves anything less than a brand new replacement.

Weigh in on your opinion and what you think the outcome will be for me.

Thanks again for your help Mac Rumors! This forum has been invaluable during this purchase decision!!!

EW

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Keep it, it's not worth it, it is hardly noticeable, and you have an already kickass computer. :)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always try something like stick foam feet if it annoys you to no end, a cheap $2 solution versus being without the machine for days, waiting for a trade, etc.

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Seems minor but really that is not the norm. Personally I would see about getting it replaced as it would take a significant warp to do what you describe. I don't think you are being unreasonable.

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Amazon will pay for return shipping and you could just sent it back to them for a replacement if the issue bothers you.

6. ewulls01 thread starter macrumors newbie

will it seriously take them days to just trade me out a new computer that I have only had for 3 days??

Are they going to try and stick me with a refurb?

7. TSE macrumors 68030

8. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't think you're being unreasonable. I will expect absolute perfection out of my brand new $2500 laptop when it arrives on Tuesday.

My point is that for that steep premium we pay on Apple's hardware we have some-what of a right to be picky. I personally couldn't deal with a wobbly base. Not sure about Apple store taking it back but find out and good luck.

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

No, Amazon doesn't have refurbs. They will send you a brand new unopened one as a replacement or you could also just request a refund if you wanted. It will depend on what model you bought as to how long it will be for you to get a replacement. Amazon is likely OOS of MBP's right now so they will have to wait for an order to come in from Apple.

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i think tehyw nt give you any trouble returning it but then you ll be computerless for a bit it hink liek a week or so at least..

11. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I had this on my current 17" MBP and it drove me crazy. It would sit flat on some surfaces and not on others. Since it always sat flat on the Genius bar, Apple refused to do anything to satisfy me.

I fixed it by loosening (not removing) the screws connecting the bottom case to the top case, setting the front right corner (the one that was problematic) a couple inches off the edge of the desk, and pushing down on it until the back left corner lifted off the desk surface. I was careful to keep a hand ready back there so that the thing wouldn't go flying off the desk. After several repetitions of this, I tightened the screws.

It may sound crazy and stupid, and I really didn't expect it to work at all---but it did. The laptop now sits perfectly flat on every surface I've tried since then, including 100% of the surfaces that gave it problems before my "repair" job.

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

ask yourself this.
    are you prepared to receive a new one with the possibility of..

1. yellowish tint
    2. dead pixels
    3. noisy fans
    4. battery problem
    5. 1 & 2
    6. 1 & 3
    7. 2 & 3
    8. all of the above

try to search the forum for people exhanging x times.
    seriously, i think it's a trial and error with this MBP
    i konw it shouldn't be, it's just is

13. danzzz macrumors member

So lucky am I! I've experienced all the defects mentioned above (plus the HDD clicking noise), and got exchanged for 7 times!

14. ibizarocks macrumors regular

and you have people saying that the current mbp is refined and montevina will present loads of problems that they won't want to deal with.... bollocks!

15. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I agree. some people might say that I'm being too anal about stuff like that, but I don't think so.

MBPs are suppose to be Apple's flagship laptops. this is one of the reason why Apple is so proud of their machines in terms of price. therefore, my $2500 flagship laptop should be 100% flaw free.

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

While a MBP finish may not be perfect, I think it's reasonable to expect it to sit level and not be wobbly. That's actually fairly intrusive for the intended use of a portable. It's going to wobble whenever you use it at home, the office, the plane, Starbucks, etc. I'd approach either Amazon or AppleCare and ask about it.

17. faust macrumors regular

faust

Yes, you are not being unreasonable. I expect absolute or damn near absolute perfection from a $2000+ laptop. Up until the casing around my keyboard started cracking, I had no problems with mine.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Since laptops got renamed to notebooks, and they're not designed for use in your lap...

You're expected to use it on a flat surface. That's even what Apple says.

And if I'm trying to type, and it keeps wobbling, that will effect my performance.

So yes, exchange it!

19. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

To add to this, my MBP was also wobbly. It bugged me alot, but its sold now so thats all better.

20. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

This was more common a few years ago on the older PBs (due to heat). These days the wobble is caused by a warped case (during manufacturing) or picking up the notebook by one of the front corners (usually the right one) with the lid open. If you do that enough times the case may become a bit tweaked. It's easy enough to fix. Open the notebook and give the corner that is lower a little twist in the opposite direction. Don't worry you won't break it. The case is more flexible than most people think.

21. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I had this issue on a MBP 15" that I had about a year ago, and Apple exchange it for me since it was within the first 14 days. I'm not sure what Amazon's policy but like someone said you will probably be without a laptop for a while as their are currently some shortages in inventory. You could try fixing using the methods mentioned above as it will either fix the problem and you don't have to exchange it or you will have the same issue and still have to exchange but neither Apple or Amazon would be none the wiser.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Mine's the same - never been structurally perfect. For the price of a new one, I'd expect and demand perfection. Mine was a refurb, so it's just not worth it.

Doug

23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

have you made your decision yet?
    update us if you have it exchanged

24. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

do we know what happened in the end? i have the same wobble issue but like already cleverly mentioned, i especially do not want to have to deal with dead pixels (the notorious non-exchangeable headache):confused:

25. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

king of a hijack..

just curious, when you purchase an mbp in the apple store, can you open it up in the store and inspect it and make sure it doesn't have dead pixels, etc? like if the OP had purchased his mbp from the apple store, could he have opened it, found the case to be warped before even walking out of the store with the laptop and demanded a different one from the store stock?