Am I being unfair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kukag, Dec 19, 2013.

1. kukag macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" Non-retina i72.9ghz, 8gb, 750gb. It's been serviced three times and now I have yet another issue. First service - logic board replaced. Second service - battery dying very prematurely. Third service ( few days ago ) - logic board replaced again. Yesterday my screen froze up with weird artifacts and then on power off, when I went to boot up again it's giving me three beeps ( just like it did before the last service and the logic board was replaced ). Now sorry to make this so long but am I being unfair in asking for a replacement? My warranty expires in March 2014, and I love my machine but if it's exhibiting this kind of behavior, I'm not confident at all that it's going to last long. Appreciate any input.

(Btw - I haven't asked for one, nor has Apple offered or declined, I just wanted to get the opinions of a few others before I did ask if at all.)

Edit - Here's a pic of what happened last night before I had to long press the power button to shut it off and then turn it back on to three beeps. I've only had it back a couple days since the logic board was replaced. Niece was over and asked me to put the hokey pokey song on lol =)

[​IMG]

2. Laco macrumors 6502

No you are not being unfair you should certainly ask. Why is your warranty only two years - if you bought it in 2012 shouldn't apple care expire in 2015 if you bought the extended warranty?

I am sorry to hear about your computer troubles. I also have a 2012 13 Macbook Pro and it runs absolutely great.

3. bgro macrumors 6502a

I think that's reasonable..Kind of like the lemon law for cars.

4. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I remember hearing that it was Apple's policy that after three repairs you are entitled to a new machine (never verified this myself though).

I don't see anything wrong with you asking for a new machine. In fact if you call up Applecare on the phone and kindly ask for it due to all the trouble and time you wasted having to take it in for repairs, I'm sure they'll authorize it without any questions.

5. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

there's no doubt you deserve a new machine. there is obviously something wrong with this particular Mac. Take it back and asked them for a replacement.

6. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

in some countries apple have to give 2 years free by law

7. kukag thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, appreciate the input guys, I'll go ahead and give them a call later today or tomorrow. Also about the warranty it isn't two years I'm still on my first year - but after this I'll most likely be buying Applecare. Thanks again!

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ignoring your history for a moment - a 13-inch MBPro with video issues, and 3 beeps, should have tried a different set of RAM chips.
    And, if that doesn't help, then it sounds like a flaky logic board - again.
    If you ask about a replacement, explain that you like being a loyal customer, and remind them that you have had several covered repairs already. 3-strikes and you're out may not necessarily apply here, but doesn't hurt to ask about a system replacement, rather than another repair.

9. Laco macrumors 6502

That's a great decision, with your problems I would also CERTAINLY buy it.

10. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Just a little outside the box here, has anyone recommended replacing your power brick? Your problems encompass both battery and main board, it really sounds like a power control issue to me... but I am not an expert.