Am I being unreasonable with Apple ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deaglecat, Aug 1, 2013.

1. deaglecat macrumors 6502

Some history. I live in the UK and so am covered by the UK consumer protection.

I bought an ipod touch direct from Apple Online in 2009.

It failed in 2011 (faulty headphone jack) and I requested service but was denied and had to purchase an OOW replacement.

The replacement failed again in 2012 (faulty headphone jack) and I requested service but was denied and had to purchase a 2nd OOW replacement.

It has now failed again (7 months later). Freezes every day.

In none of the cases was the ipod physically damaged.

I have contacted Apple customer relations and I confess that I have got a bit grumpy with them because I feel that purchasing a 3rd OOW replacement in 4 years is unreasonable.

So 4 failed ipod touches in 4 years... these things are lasting an average of 1 year which is not ideal.

To be fair, after a bit of discussion, Customer relations have said that they will sort now it out. Ideally, I would like to pay the difference and upgrade but I don't think they allow that - a straight replacement is fine.

But I feel guilty about being difficult with them....am I being unreasonable ?

Deagle.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Four failures in four years is unusual. I don't think you are being unreasonable. Ask for what you want. They can only say "no". On the other hand, if they do not have a replacement for the model you have they may give you a newer model. I have always found Apple to be fair.

3. deaglecat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I don't like getting grumpy with Apple employees because they are decent folk. :eek:

On the positive side, at least I can pick up the phone, talk to someone - who gives me their direct line number and takes ownership of the issue.

I have had far far worse customer service experiences - despite this unfortunate series of hardware faults. I read that the older ipod touches got worst with IOS 4... but unfortunately, downgrade is not possible.