Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumpipwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Firstly there is a 4mm hairline crack at the very top of my iPhone, it's been there for as long as I remember.

I purchased my 6 Dec 2014 and purchased apple care plus along with it at the same time. About a month ago my vibrate button started going crazy, when putting it on silent it would jump from silent to non silent randomly by itself without touching the button. Was annoying particularly when walking around and it vibrating as it went in and out of silent mode itself.

I decided to get it repaired under warranty so I shipped it off to Apple and then rejected the repair immediately. They want me to pay £60 to replace the screen before they fix my vibrate button. I explained that I wasn't bothered about the minuscule crack, just fix the vibrate button and I'll be on my way. But they say it's company policy not to repair phones until the screen has been sorted.

They offered me to claim on my home insurance or pay the excess? This seems pretty odd to me?

Vicrooloo

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2015
Wow. That's incredible that they have a policy like that in place...

Doesn't Applecare extend the warranty? They need to honor what is clearly a manufacturer's defect with the volume switch.

sumpipwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Just to confirm, they had no problem with fixing the vibrate button under the apple warranty plus I purchased back in 2014, just as long as I pay the £60 to first replace the screen :S

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
A little surprised by this...I didn't know that this was their policy.

If it is, then you will have to decide whether to proceed or not.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This has been their policy for awhile. I'm not sure why, except perhaps they are concerned that a cracked screen might get worse if they need to remove it.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This has been their policy for awhile. I'm not sure why, except perhaps they are concerned that a cracked screen might get worse if they need to remove it.
I would also think it is this. Or that you may come back and say they damaged it or made the damage worse. Probably less problematic for them to only repair a phone that doesn't have damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.