Am I bieng to pickey? (MacBook Air Flaw?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cnixon, Aug 4, 2011.

1. cnixon macrumors member

Sorry for creating a thread for this, but I wasn't sure where to post.

Anyway, I just received my new Air 13 in the mail. I love it except for one small issue. Looks like when it was put together one of the bottom screws was over tightened, causing the metal around the screw to have a sunken appearance. Also, if held at the right angle, you can see where the tool the used to tighten the screw rubbed against the aluminum.

It's barely noticeable at a glance, and I don't foresee it causing any issues in the future. However, it does bother me somewhat seeing as I paid so much for it?

Am I nuts? Should I just ignore it, or possibly seek an exchange for a different unit?

2. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

Rake a pic. If ur a OCD like me then take it back for exchange

3. PaulWog Suspended

You could be nuts (that's almost a pun right there... nuts and bolts and all things screwed). Lol.

Anyways, post up a picture or two if you can. It's hard to really tell if you're being overly-OCD, or if you truly have a good reason here. Post up how affected your Air is by this abnormality so we can all give you our most valuable opinions. :D

4. Starlifter, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Starlifter macrumors member

Starlifter

I don't think you're nuts since this is something that could affect resale----assuming you'll resell it at some point.

5. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

If it bothers you, exchange it.

You paid good money for you new MBA, and you should be happy with your purchase.

6. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Return it and don't feel apologetic about it. It's certainly more understandable than somebody who returns an MBA because of a Samsung or LG LCD panel without having even looked at the other type of panel but based upon internet postings decided it was less desirable.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I would definitely return it. You are not being too picky. You paid for it so u should have what you paid for

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yeah, you're paying a lot of money: you should be happy with the machine. You never know if that over tightening might cause an as yet undetected issue (I doubt it, but it would bug me).

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Am I bieng to pickey? (MacBook Air Flaw?)

bieng? pickey?

Well if I was being picky I'd have to point that out..... ;)

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

11. marrzie macrumors regular

I dont care how small how little or at what angle I have to hold it to see. If its not 100% perfect no matter how small I am taking it back. Unless it got dat der samsung in it.. :D

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I wonder if he doesn't take it back, if a genius will try to say that he opened it and violated the warranty if he has to take it in for an applecare authorized repair.

Looks like apple needs to talk with the manufacturer about upping the ramen ration at the factory...

...or the worker who made it has sunk all of his savings into buying the American Government's debt and thought he was about to get royally screwed.

13. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Return it for sure. My 11" Air made a clicking noise (like the trackpad was being pressed when I grabbed it while closed. I thought it was weird so I did an exchange with Amazon, who overnighted me a replacement. The new one is great. :D

I used SuperDuper to clone the drive on my defective 11". Saved me a lot of time in setting up the replacement.

14. blowabs macrumors member

got it too on two screws..no biggie..no other marks....just the two in the middle of the back screws, I guess for hinging. Too many other things good going on for me to return it.... just me...:)

15. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Just checked my screws. You guys are giving me a complex. Heh

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't think you are picky. I think you are paranoid.

Return and get a new model.

17. Mikael macrumors regular

Same on my 13". I really wouldn't worry about it...

18. morpheuz macrumors newbie

19. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

Now I have a 5-7mm scratch to the right of my keyboard - viewable from directly above only. I'm pretty much sure it won't have been me who has caused it (if it was on the outside, I'd presume it might have been me!).

Exchanging a MBA for this - PICKY?!

20. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Scratch on the near the keyboard... yeah I'd return it. It's one of the most seen places on the laptop so resale value COULD be lowered. Some buyers don't care, but some do. Just FYI.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't think you are being too picky, i would return it otherwise you will always be bothered by it as it might not give you a peace of mind knowing that flaw exists

22. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

I can't actually see it when sitting back and using the laptop, but was giving it a once over checking it for anything and noticed it right slap bang between the backspace and usb port. Will they exchange it or will I have to use my 14 day return window?

23. jevel macrumors regular

I don't get it? A minor flaw like this is never going to compare to the scratches you'll get from a few weeks of use.

-KJ

24. Billy Mac macrumors newbie

Asking this board if you're being too picky is like asking the drunk next to you at the bar at 10 AM if he thinks you have a drinking problem...

25. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

Haha, very true!