Am I breaking the law?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grasbak, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I recently recorded a cartoon series off CBBC here in the UK (using eyetv).

I have now exported them to imovie - cut out the bits i didnt want, then made a DVD with iDVD. They look really good (!) but, then I thought, 'is this ok'??!! Is it worse if I lend the recordings to someone else to watch?

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's legal until you get caught. As long as you're not selling it on ebay or making moronic amounts of copies there shouldn't be any problems even though it's still an infringement on copyright.

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club.

The second rule of Fight Club is - you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I don't see how it is different to recording something on a video tape. So millions of people of this already and have done for years so you are alright. Safety in numbers.

5. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense, but I don't want to do it if it's wrong. Just wanted to know what is/isnt ok.

6. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess, just seemed 'more wrong' somehow cos it was easy to produce a nice DVD front end :eek:

7. FireArse macrumors 6502a

hhmmm

I dont think you are breaking the law - you're creating personal copies of material you saw on TV - assuming you're up to date with your TV licsence - you'll be on the right side of the law.

F

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Quality level aside, I really don't see the difference between this and recording / sharing a VHS tape. What's to stop you from taping Lost, or 24, cutting out the commercials and then lending it to your friends?

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yummy, I keep on thinking about Bones. Yummy.

10. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I don't know what the legality is in the UK, but generally as long as you are not selling or trading the DVD there should be no legal repercussions. It's the same as recording something on tape and lending that to friends as well.

11. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

this is as legal as helping an old women to cross the street, as long as you do not spread any copies to anyone, not even when you give/lend it for free to friends. the only ones who can watch it are you and close family.

That's the law, but no one will care/notice if you have your friends over and watch it, or even give a copy to a friend. Just don't sell/give it to alot of people.

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

officially when video recorders were becoming popular i think the law stated you can record tv shows but must delete them after 'x' amount of months after recording.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Really, which law was that? :rolleyes:

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Depends which country you live in. For example this is from and Australian site: