Am I crazy? Buying a used unibody off ebay.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tasslehawf, Mar 14, 2010.

1. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I was the only one to bid on the auction and I won it. It doesn't have Applecare. They won't take a return and I realized Squaretrade won't cover it until after 60 days.

If it arrives DOA then I'm SOL. It's not much better than buying off craigslist, only that you'd be able to see if it works ahead of time.

I haven't paid for it yet and I'm on the fence whether to trust the seller (they have 100% w/ 360+ feedback), but still - all I have to go on is their word. I could just not pay and deal with one negative feedback. I figure worst case it could show up at my door with a fried motherboard ($500 repair).

Thoughts?

2. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Questions:
    What do you mean it doesn't have Apple Care? Apple Care is an extension of warranty. It does not have warranty whatsoever or it does not have Apple Care?
    How much money would you be saving compared to buying a refurbished machine from Apple?
    What is the seller reputation? As a seller, not as a buyer (make sure you check the feedback as a seller). Are you paying through Paypal? Has the seller sold anything of the similar value in the past 2 months? If so do the buyers have 10 feedbacks or more?

If I were you:
    I would ask how long was the machine used for. Ask for the serial number of the machine so you can call Apple and make sure that it is not a stolen machine.
    Ask for clear pictures of the machine and if it was ever repaired (if so, why was it repaired?).

I have sold and purchased many items on eBay, you gotta know how to buy as well as sell on eBay.
    Whatever you do, do not buy using your bank account with Paypal, if the item does not arrive they will deny your claim. At least if you buy with a credit card you can dispute with your credit card company in case Paypal fails to do so. Remember, Paypal will never ever fork money to give it to you in case it is a scam, Paypal acts as a third party in the transaction, if it is a scam and the seller gets the money deposited by Paypal and closes his bank account, Paypal won't be able to withdrawal the money and give it back to you which means, you will not get your money back, unless you pay with a credit card, then you might get your money back.

Good luck!

3. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a late 2008 unibody MB471/A. It doesn't have an extended warranty. They seller offers no warranty and doesn't allow returns.

This is the 2.53 ghz version with the 512mb 9400/9600 gt card for $1300. I was originally looking at buying a new 2.8 for around $2100 from an online retailer (Apple always sticks you with the tax no matter what state you're in).

Seller has 207 seller feedback ratings with only 1 negative comment that I noticed. The seller has not sold anything in the last 90 days so I can't see any of the other item details. I was going to use paypal and pay with a creditcard.

They provided a serial number: W88440YL1GN

"I am selling my MacBook Pro Unibody 15”.
    I have a laptop provided by my work so I haven’t been needing this. Very well taken care of. Very little use.
    I am the original owner. Excellent condition. Works perfectly.
    Purchased on Oct 30, 2008 from the Apple Store. No AppleCare."

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Your covered by paypal, because it says it is in excellent condition and works perfectly. Also only pay with your credit card through paypal. YOu get double protection this way. Paypal is terrible. For buyers and sellers. You should also run the serial number in that mac serial number website.

5. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean if they say in excellent condition and works perfect and it arrives broken and I use a CC w/ Paypal, I'll be able to send it back? Can you show me someplace that says that in writing?

EDIT: I see. Buyer protection. "Item not a described"

Do I have to call Apple to see about the serial number. I checked it on the website and it simply indicates that it's not under warranty.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

also you can file a charge back with your CC.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes you will. PayPal insures that buyers are protected against items that are materially and significantly not as described. Personally I would have never bought a computer on fleabay because they have gone down hill so much since the late 90's. But in your case, I wish you the best and hope that the seller is honest and sent you a working computer. A check of the serial number reveals obviously that the warranty has expired and of course is not eligible for an extended warranty (3 year).

Here is the link to the Apple site to check serial numbers:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

8. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

If you really have a prob with it, when it arrives, you can tell eBay that it is DOA and they will reverse the charge. Pretty much no questions asked. Back in '05 I sold an iPod on eBay and the seller claimed it was "DOA" and didn't work. They filed a dispute and I lost $250 over nothing, they didn't even have to send the 'broken' iPod back to me. You're pretty much safe man.

9. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

That is not true, if the product is defective, eBay will do nothing about it. Paypal will but they will require the buyer to mail it back unless the buyer charges back. Paypal does protect the buyer for not as described etc but if the seller is a crook and closes his bank account after withdrawing the money from Paypal or the sale is a scam, Paypal will not reimburse you, in fact you will lose the entire purchase price. There's where your credit card company comes to help you by reversing the charge from Paypal. I know what I am talking about because I used to have a successful eBay business and I have purchased from scammers before and have lost over $500. Even if you follow the signature confirmation and every instructions by Paypal to the dot, if they are not able to get their money back, you lose.

10. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I paid for it. The seller sent me an email assuring me that it works and that they would insure it for shipping with UPS so I feel pretty good now.

Used Macs just aren't as much of a guarantee as they were 10 years ago. Lol. Makes me a little more uneasy.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

earlier today Apple had the refurb store packed with MBP. The amount you save covers the tax and in some cases the cost of buying Apple Care.

If you don't want to pay tax, go to SmallDog.com