Am i crazy for wanting a HP Mini 2140?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Jun 2, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've been looking to get the HP Mini 2140 1.6 Atom/2GB/160GB 7200 RPM/Vista Business (with XP downgrade)/10.1" LED screen with 1366x768 res/WiFi/BT

I plan on installing Windows 7 on or maybe Hackintosh but more likely the former it and using it as my carry everywhere/convenient notebook because lugging around the 15"MBP gets cumbersome at times

I chose the 2140 due to its aluminium build, strong hinges and general 'mac-like' design compared to the plasticky Eee PC

I already have it in my basket ready to submit my order but want to be sure i'm picking a great product?

Attached Files:

2. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

That is one nice netbook and if you hackintosh it, it would look like a MB.
    I am going to get a MB after WWDC but would really like this as well for when I don't want to possibly damage my MB. The only think that stops me is that I don't have a retail disk to install and I feel that adds too much extra cost to justify my wants.

How is it rated on the hackintosh scale of compatibility?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's a very nice netbook. Most of the ones I have tried have a cramped keyboard. I think 10" is the ABSOLUTE minimum for a screen but it should be OK at that res (better than my MacBook).

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I actually dunno but the hardware looks bog standard...nothing proprietary and its using a Broadcom wifi chipset so it should be good

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

You're not at all crazy for wanting it; it's supposedly one of the best netbooks on the market right now.

6. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I just did a quick look on the internet and it seems possible but some HP people said it has some issue that shouldn't make it perfect, yet they stress.

Let us know if you decide to do this.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Go for it! I've been eying the HP Mini 1000, and this is even better.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, that's one slick looking little netbook. Like the mini 1000, it's keyboard looks quite usable, too.

I'm assuming that like the 1000, there's no fix to have audio on the machine. And like all netbooks, you may find the trackpad to be just a bit lacking.

I've hackintoshed a msi wind and lenovo s10, and wound up going to a last gen 12" powerbook because of the trackpad and keyboard issues of the netbooks (the wind's build quality can only be described as mattel-ish). Fortunately, with BT you can easily throw a small bt mouse in your bag with it.

I'd wait til wwdc, just to make sure someone doesn't pull an iTablet or iTouch maxi out of an envelope, and wait for someone else to hack it, show results, and post a guide on the net.

Keep the rest of us updated.

Oh, does anyone know if they've released any netbooks yet with the nvidia 9400 video card yet?

9. kitenski macrumors regular

kitenski

go for it, I have had one for a few months now, running Win7 and has worked fine. I carry my music and pics on it, using Picassa for basic image management.

regards,

Greg

10. indiecraig macrumors member

I considered this one too, but the track pad buttons were the deal breaker. I used it in store and I just can't get used to them being on the sides. I have decided to wait until October for Windows 7 and the 2.0GHz atoms that are in the pipeline.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've read a few months ago that nvidia is producing a version of the 9400 graphics chip for the atom processors. Will these be coming out then as well?

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I think you're referring to the Nvidia Ion platform with 1.6 atom and 9400m. It looks like its about to make primetime

As for the others, is the trackpad really that bad. I rarely use trackpad buttons anyway and rely on tapping instead

Also i'm at a loss as to why the Audio won't work, it's intel's integrated sound card after all right which Leopard should have drivers for since the plastic MacBooks used this?

13. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

I currently own an HP Mini 1035 netbook that I have a fully working Mac OS X 10.5.6 install on as well as windows 7 for dual boot love! It originally had a 16GB SSD for the main drive but that proved to be too small for both OS's after formatting so i swapped it for a 60GB IDE hard drive and I have a 16GB SD Card in it for Time Machine backups! It runs OK in OS X. the 1.6Ghz speed really hinders some things. for some reaosn iWork is really slow on it... but i use it for light browsing and wifi hookups in my car. It was a nice project machine for me though i will admit once i had tweaked it into a fully working hackintosh and acheived my goal i began using it less and less. I guess I bought just to see if i could get Leopard running completely on it. I have been thinking of just wiping it and restoring it back to factory spec and selling it...

14. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

I have a hackintosh HP Mini 1000 series with working audio, wifi and sleep. the only thing i never tested was the ethernet port since my house is wifi only i never saw the need. BUT sound is indeed working on my unit.

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...netbooks are fine to run winXP on, there really isn't a reason to have to tinker with OS X and worry about an update bricking your netbook...

I have an eeePC1000H and it is very sturdy, even compared to other "full" size laptops I've seen...

16. carpiweb macrumors newbie

omegaphil6, I could use your HP Mini !!

My mac broke and so I am :rolleyes:
    I moved to Argentina but I have friends flying from NY quite often.
    I may be interested in your computer as is :apple:, as it will save me some work from having to install myself. if the price is right. Any interest, ideas?
    Thanks
    carpiweb

17. ai5858 macrumors newbie

Where to sell a HP Mini 2140 with 10.5.7

I installed 10.5.7 on an HP Mini 2140 as a proof of concept for a project. I no longer need it and was wondering if any had any ideas on where to try to sell it (with OSX still on it). Most everything worked. If there are any suggestions, email me at ai585 at easy dot com. Thanks.