Am I Crazy? (MacBook/PowerBook Selling Concern)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Vulcan, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Would it be rational to sell my one month old MacBook and five year old PowerBook for the new MacBook? I no longer use the PowerBook, but am I going overboard with this and being completely irrational?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's your money and how you spend it. If you aren't finding any use on your current hardware then trade up.

3. sfroom macrumors regular

If you're really set on buying one of the new MacBooks, sell your one month old one (you might be surprised at how well Macs retain their resale value).

Give your Powerbook to a friend or family member that could use it, as it's most likely not going to be worth much for resale.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. urbnsoul macrumors newbie

I am actually somewhat in the same boat as yourself. I am seriously considering selling off my 5-month old 1.8/SSD 1st gen MBA for the new MacBook. I've been telling myself how terribly impractical and unnecessary it is, but I just have that voice in the bag of my head that's saying 'get in on that!" lol

It is a relative choice, and if you feel the new MacBook will satisfy your want and you won't be kicking yourself over it, I say go for it. :)

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

7. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'm there. My MacBook can do what I need for it to do, but the aluminum looks pretty good looking and will most likely become the new Apple standard for years to come.

I'm hoping to get at least $850 out of my MacBook and $330 out of my PowerBook if I go that path, which would leave me with enough to get the machine (using my friends employee discount, it would be 1100). I would just give away the PowerBook, but no one in my family really has a need for thing.

I'm still not sure if I'm being completely rational here or am just freaking out because new products were released and I feel like I should not be out dated. I don't know and am hoping to get some more opinions.

8. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Upgraded from 12" Powerbook...

My new 2.4ghz Macbook is awesome. Seriously, the attention to detail is amazing. I just noticed something now: the sleep light actually blinks behind a thin layer of aluminium that has been laser-etched. So when it fades in/out, the light seems like it exists on the surface and then fades away seamlessly on the aluminium -- does that make sense?.

Other highlights for me:
    • illuminated keyboard (really gives it that pro feeling)
    • new integrated graphics chip (which so far seems really fast with HD video)
    • latch on the back is great design: very easy access to HD and battery
    • magnetic-latch makes it quick to open
    • new light button on the side is spiffy!
    • I was not sure about the black bezel, but now I love it! It actually frames your screen like a modern art gallery frame. I prefer it now to the silver bezels of the Air and PB.
    • new trackpad is silky smooth and gestures really help with productivity. You can even assign soft tap instead of pressing the button and a corner for a second button.
    • raw power of intel-chips compared to my PB: 30 secs to raster a file vs. 5-10 minutes on my PB!

As for people’s concerns:
    • firewire: Personally, I can live without it. Yes, firewire is faster and has a more constant rate of transfer than USB2, but USB2 is no slouch. I migrated 50GBs of files to my Macbook via USB2 which took 20-30mins. Not bad at all.
    • glossy screen: I am a graphic designer and should be on the bandwagon screaming for a matte version, but, you know what, it is not that bad. In fact, I really like it. If I am doing serious work, I would link it up to a second monitor anyway which is non-glossy. Reflections can be minimized by choosing a lighter desktop background and reducing lights around you.

Here was my first day’s impressions:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=581526

Oh, also my wife has the original Macbook Air. I much prefer the new Macbook as it has more raw power, two USB ports (which is essential for me), stereo speakers and I much prefer the black bezel to the grey/silver on the Air.

My advice is to see one in person. Then you will know if it is what you really need (or want!).

Good luck with your choice.

9. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

I am keeping my Powerbook as it still has firewire. I doubt I would ever need it, but you never know. So, if nobody else wants it you might as well keep it ‘just in case’ you need the firewire to download something.

10. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

MysticMage, I'll give you some of my thoughts. When I saw the apple event, I lusted over new Macbook but the price really threw me off. I have a very recent and powerful Dell XPS 1330 and am generally happy with it but it is a Windows machine. I spent the last few days trying to get Mac OS X installed on the Dell but to no avail.

After much agonizing, I convinced myself to get the new Macbook. So tonight, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. What a relief it is to finally make a decision. My advice to you is if in the back of your mind you are already set on buying it then save yourself the trouble and just make the purchase now. ;)

11. Vulcan thread starter macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If I do sell it, I'm not 100% sure at this point, where would the best place to sell it be (eBay, Craigslist, etc)?

I'm still a little iffy on this. I mean, I'd be giving up my PowerBook for simply a new case (I wouldn't notice a huge performance increase)? Meh, I'll still think on it. Thanks for all of the opinions, please keep them coming.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

13. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I've had good luck selling things here.

14. eGraeme macrumors member

well it seems from some peoples postings that the performance increase from yer current mb isnt big enuf to warrant upgrading
    however... id do it!
    but im a "GOTTA HAVE IT" brat