Am I crazy, or did the iPod touch prices just hike?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jewishmacfreak, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jewishmacfreak macrumors newbie

I could swear that yesterday when I looked at the prices for the iPod touches at the online apple store(Canada) after the Keynote Address. The new iPod Touch 8Gig was listed @ $229 and the 16Gig was listed @ $299.

This morning I took a look and the the new iPod Touch 8Gig was listed @ $259 and the 16Gig was listed @ $329.

What kind of B.S is this?! :confused: Steve Jobbs announced a price and then less than 24hours later, it's hiked!

Any thoughts?!

-TheJewishMacFreak

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I see nothing of the sort. Don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

Edit: Oh, you're in Canada. Let me verify...

Edit2: Yup, the Canada prices are 259-329-429. However, I don't know what's so strange. The CAD is worth less than the USD.

3. fpbecker macrumors member

The prices did hike in the German Apple Store at least. Last night the iPod Touch sold for 209 € (8 GB)/279 € (16 GB)/369 €(32 GB); today prices are 219 €/279 €/379 €.

4. crunchiespg macrumors member

yeh, they obviously just copied the US info and put it on the canada store, then realised their mistake and changed it..
    when you actually got onto the purchase pages the prices were the proper canada ones..

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They likely changed the prices to reflect actual exchange rates, import fees, taxes, and Copyright Fees (where applicable).

TEG

6. jewishmacfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope!

The CAD has been stronger or at par with the USD for almost a full year now.

http://www.xe.com/

There is no reason why they should price is higher in the Canadian apple store.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Taxes, import fees, copyright/licensing fees.

8. jewishmacfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that is a good point, but it's still annoying. Besides, I am not that worried; everything is always priced higher at the online Apple Store or at the Apple retail stores.

You can get iPod touches everywhere else for a tad cheaper, like @ Best Buy or whatever.

9. ricartedor, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

ricartedor macrumors member

This is the case in the UK - last night a 32GB touch was £279 today (when i bought it) it was £289!! that isn't something to take lightly, as £279 was not a simple conversion from the US price anyway even including tax - adding an extra £10 on top is a pain!

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Wrong. As of now, the Canadian Dollar is $0.93 US. They are close, but still not "at par".

TEG

11. jewishmacfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

That is today, every day it changes, one day the CAD is stronger, the other day the USD is stronger, but overall over the past year, we have been at par.

There was a stretch of like 4 months recently where the CAD destroyed the USD.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

By five cents, until the glory of the 5% GST wore off, and the PSTs were raised.

TEG

13. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

They probably have to design the canadian touches differently, for example the packaging is probably insulated and the headphones have built in ear muffs since its so cold there.

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Think about this the FIRST iPod had 5GB of Storage and fat as hell! flash forward ( no pun intented ) to the iPod Touch with 32GB of Storage for the Same exact price! Think about that

15. crunchiespg macrumors member

actually best buy is doing the 8gb for $10 less than apple.ca, but the 32gb is $10 more expensive..

and they wont have them for a while it says...

16. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Actually, last time I checked it was something, like 100.08 cents to one USD, so that tiny difference does NOT justify those prices. So glad I live in the US of A!!!

17. crunchiespg macrumors member

why? your minimum wage is like $4, here i dont know anyone who earns less than $12, even flipping burgers gets you $12 here in calgary... so $20 for an ipod doesnt matter if you are earning twice as many $ in the first place...

and im pretty sure i wouldnt get $40 an hour in the usa for the job i do here....

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, it consistently changes. As of now, it is a significant difference. They'd lose about $20 by selling it at the same amount in CAD.

19. only macrumors regular

That was never an issue before.

The pretax price for Apple products in Canada were at par through the Apple Store and even less than the US ones through resellers. That included the last generation of IPT's, computers and peripherals.

20. crunchiespg macrumors member

no they wernt... the macbooks are $100 less on the US store. the best ive seen is the same price. not seen anything lower than US price..

21. pjgeer macrumors member

Nope, we have been steadily under for the last three months, not once in that time have we hit par with the USD or been above it.

We were still about $10/model more then the US when our dollar was just about even or above. Extra shipping fees, duties, etc.

During the spring some new software releases were at par in the two Apple stores, but older products were still not the same pricing.

Only time you would have seen lower prices in a Canadian Apple store then the US Apple retail, might have been on the Canadian Education Apple site.

Pj

22. only macrumors regular

They were on par at the Apple Store, and specifically 1G IPT's were $279/$369/$469 at resellers like Best Buy and Future Shop in Canada which was less than the Apple Store and even their US counterparts.

23. Funplex macrumors regular

How can it "Destroy" the USD when it's "At Par" for a year?

24. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Don't think of the past. Think of the future. Apple is hedging their prices based on future CAD<->USD values.