Am I Crazy To Consider Installing XP On My 2009 i7 iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Green™, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Green™ macrumors member

Opposed to Windows 7? Well, am I?

I've got a copy of XP and an OEM of 7 that I've misplaced.
    Also, can I run native iMac resolution through XP?
    Thanks.

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Windows XP is fine. You can run whatever resolutions you want. I can run 1920x1200 on my MBP1,1 on an external monitor

3. Green™ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! LOL @ 8 year old OS. I must say though, XP has to be Windows golden OS. Never fails.

4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Win7 has taken that crown from XP :p

5. Perdification macrumors regular

Most corporate users have yet to switch to Win 7, or if not are just starting to switch, so yeah XP ain't that old after all. I wonder if Win 95 can work using boot camp on an i7 iMac. I think it wouldn't be able to recognize the too large drive capacity.

6. Green™ thread starter macrumors member

Rats!

Well, now I've misplaced my Windows XP disk and found my Windows 7 disk. :confused::eek::eek::D

Is there any advantage in downloading 7 over XP when it comes to playing games? Like, are the graphics and cores better utilized? I'm thinking old games like Oblivion and such.

Regardless, looks like I'll be going with 7. If you find this thread down the road, there's nothing wrong with XP on a 2010 computer, works quite well from what I've heard. :apple:

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think the choice in OS really depends on the choice in apps. If the app is old enough to have been designed for XP pre-Vista than that is what you should run. Otherwise W7 should be the default choice of OS.

B

8. Long macrumors newbie

I chose to install XP instead of 7 under the assumption that XP would require less resources than 7 to run the Windows software I need. I needed a basic Windows OS within VMWare to run Autocad and occasionally Microsoft Office while consuming a minimum amount of RAM and processor; I have no use for the updated user interface and other features of 7.

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you going to run it through Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion? For Parallels/Fusion, I would happily take XP as it's much smaller and lighter than 7 is so better suited for virtualization. Of course it depends what you're going to do. Windows 7 is more future-proof and never a bad choice.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I find this thread amusing since I primarily use Windows 2000 when OS X doesn't suffice. As long as your applications work, it makes for a much smaller footprint than even XP!

12. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

You are crazy! Don't do it! Run Windows 7 instead! We are in the second decade of this century!

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

2K is great, but I'd restrict it to non 'net uses. It is just too vulnerable.

B

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Just because something is new doesn't make it better. Also, technically, the second decade won't begin until January, 2011.

We have equipment here running Windows 95 that can't be upgraded. And I'm typing on a keyboard that was manufactured in 1989 that's better than almost any made today.

15. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Uh, no. XP is a malware magnet.

Yep. :)

Tried it on my i7 MBP - worked fine. However, I tend to find better Mac-compatibilty (Boot Camp hardware drivers, mostly) with 7 or Vista. Yeah... I said Vista... hurts me, too. :(

Totally had not realized that. Not being sarcastic, either... Wow. :eek: Just realized I'm beginning the 4th decade of my life...

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Windows 7 takes better advantage of multicore processors. Graphics drivers will soon be eol'd for XP.

17. i-am-waiting macrumors member

I installed Windows 7 and have had no problems except that it seems to take up loads of space just for the operating system... ima try tiny/micro xp instead, i only have a 250GB HD, but i will be upgrading to 500GB soon hopefully :D

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I do. I don't do any net use on any VM other than software patches. This also saves the burden of needing anti-virus software.