Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
while the x has a beautiful display that jumps out at you, the 8 isnt exactly horrid(which is amazing for such low res). I went to play with the iphone 8 again at best buy and compared side by side with my x and yes there is a difference but meh I could live with it honestly. My main motivation are , easier to hold one handed ( my hands are not small) finger print sensor is more reliable and faster imo, the 8s speakers seem to be just as loud as my x which is nice, I cant really tell the difference in pic quality which is important to me. And last but not least I feel this is the last release of this type of phone and all future ones will be based off the x .

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
You should get your eyes checked. Seriously.

I've used both devices side by side for 5 months and, apart from the obvious difference in size couldn't say which had a better screen. The 8 has less aggressive tru-tone, though.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I just did exactly that after using the iPhone X for 2 months. Only reason is the Face ID. Happy with my iPhone 8 now.

Reactions: Ml989

Ml989

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but hear me out.

Initially, I bought the iPhone 8 (non-plus) when it first came out. I used it for several months and then jumped ship to the X. I’ve been using the X for months now and I do like it a lot. Or do I?

I recently went to an Apple store and just for the hell of it, completely out of the blue, lifted the 8 again. Low and behold, I fell in love with it again.

It feels soooo much lighter than the X and much more ergonomically friendly. It’s just as responsive and something about that super sleek and small form factor just makes me want to make the switch.

Now, I realize that it’s a downgrade in many ways. However, there are some X features that I absolutely could do without. First is Face ID. It’s great when it works. I’d say that I find myself having to unlock the phone manually about 40% of the time, either because I’m unlocking the phone at an odd angle or due to lighting interference. I never had problems unlocking the 8, unless my hands were wet, which rarely happened. Second thing is the camera. Sure, it’s great, but too gimmicky for my taste. Don’t care for portrait mode and the zoom as I almost never use them. Additionally, I never once notice a difference in pic quality between my 8 and the X. Lastly, I could never personally tell the difference between the LED and LCD screens. I’m not saying it’s not noticeable. I’m saying that I never truly noticed. And although the screen on the X is bigger, it isn’t overwhelming so.

All in all, I do like the X. I had no problems with it, other than unlocking annoyances or inconveniences, whichever way you want to spin it.

Not sure what to do. My X is in immaculate shape and I know that I can still recoup most of the cost for it. The 8 just made an impression on me, again. I realize some people hate the bezels and the fact that it bears a design that dates back several years, but I find the build quality of the 8 is superb to prior models. And I personally don’t mind the bezels.

Am I the only person who considered going from the X to the 8? - The 8 Plus is completely out of the question as I generally prefer smaller phones. The X is significantly heavier than the 8. You truly don’t notice it, unless you use it on a daily basis and then suddenly pick up the 8.

I like phone that fit in my pocket with ease and don’t make it bulky. The X, despite not being that much bigger, does carry significantly bigger, if that makes sense. When I put the 8 in my front jeans pocket, you really can’t see it at all. Not the case with the X. It’s definitely more noticeable.

I like the more nimble 8. Maybe I’m just crazy. Can’t quite put a finger on it lol

Your not crazy!! I literally just did the same exact thing yesterday for the EXACT reasons you listed.

Do it, you’ll be much happier.

Reactions: Falcon80

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
After using the xs max for a while, coming back to the 8 was a relief. My 6 Plus still has a far better phone than either the 8 or the xs max, though.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I just did exactly that after using the iPhone X for 2 months. Only reason is the Face ID. Happy with my iPhone 8 now.
May I step-in here and rant a bit Falcone80???
iPhone X was a complete waste of my $1000+ dollars.

Had two of em' ...Both were exactly the same: Garbage!

Too many things wrong (both design & function) to list here.

Forced myself to use the horridly designed 'X' piece of junk for months until I wised-up and went back to my rock solid & reliable 6s-Plus.

I plan on buying the iPhone XS Max as a last ditch effort to stay in the Apple ecosystem before I completely give up on the post Steve Jobs Apple Inc. and buy a <gulp> Samsung phone. :-(
-Ej-

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Forced myself to use the horridly designed 'X' piece of junk for months until I wised-up and went back to my rock solid & reliable 6s-Plus.

I plan on buying the iPhone XS Max as a last ditch effort to stay in the Apple ecosystem before I completely give up on the post Steve Jobs Apple Inc. and buy a <gulp> Samsung phone. :-(
-Ej-

What was so unreliable about it?

Msigotit

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Windy City
I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but hear me out.

Initially, I bought the iPhone 8 (non-plus) when it first came out. I used it for several months and then jumped ship to the X. I’ve been using the X for months now and I do like it a lot. Or do I?

I recently went to an Apple store and just for the hell of it, completely out of the blue, lifted the 8 again. Low and behold, I fell in love with it again.

It feels soooo much lighter than the X and much more ergonomically friendly. It’s just as responsive and something about that super sleek and small form factor just makes me want to make the switch.

Now, I realize that it’s a downgrade in many ways. However, there are some X features that I absolutely could do without. First is Face ID. It’s great when it works. I’d say that I find myself having to unlock the phone manually about 40% of the time, either because I’m unlocking the phone at an odd angle or due to lighting interference. I never had problems unlocking the 8, unless my hands were wet, which rarely happened. Second thing is the camera. Sure, it’s great, but too gimmicky for my taste. Don’t care for portrait mode and the zoom as I almost never use them. Additionally, I never once notice a difference in pic quality between my 8 and the X. Lastly, I could never personally tell the difference between the LED and LCD screens. I’m not saying it’s not noticeable. I’m saying that I never truly noticed. And although the screen on the X is bigger, it isn’t overwhelming so.

All in all, I do like the X. I had no problems with it, other than unlocking annoyances or inconveniences, whichever way you want to spin it.

Not sure what to do. My X is in immaculate shape and I know that I can still recoup most of the cost for it. The 8 just made an impression on me, again. I realize some people hate the bezels and the fact that it bears a design that dates back several years, but I find the build quality of the 8 is superb to prior models. And I personally don’t mind the bezels.

Am I the only person who considered going from the X to the 8? - The 8 Plus is completely out of the question as I generally prefer smaller phones. The X is significantly heavier than the 8. You truly don’t notice it, unless you use it on a daily basis and then suddenly pick up the 8.

I like phone that fit in my pocket with ease and don’t make it bulky. The X, despite not being that much bigger, does carry significantly bigger, if that makes sense. When I put the 8 in my front jeans pocket, you really can’t see it at all. Not the case with the X. It’s definitely more noticeable.

I like the more nimble 8. Maybe I’m just crazy. Can’t quite put a finger on it lol
[doublepost=1538862911][/doublepost]Get the phone that works best for you.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012

-Ej-

Glad to know I am not the only out there who "downgraded". Like you, I also forced myself to use it for 2 months before finally giving up. I really want to embrace Apple's latest initiative (Face ID) because I know that is probably the future thus I gave myself 2 months to adapt to it. Still it does not work out well for me. The only good news is I believe Touch ID will still be around for another year or two since they will likely keep iPhone 8/8+ around next year. Hopefully by then, Face ID will be finally be good enough for daily use.
[doublepost=1538863471][/doublepost]
After using the xs max for a while, coming back to the 8 was a relief. My 6 Plus still has a far better phone than either the 8 or the xs max, though.

Relief is definitely the right word. Felt the same as well. :)

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I have hope that Apple can indeed compile a good "next-gen" iPhone. And in spite of my frustration & disappointment in the original 'X' phone I am willing to buy the new XS Max.

I really hope the larger size makes the XS Max feel more usable in the hand, and I terribly hope that this time Apple makes an X phone that has a functional GPS chip.
<and please Apple! The GPS has to work this time!!!>

I'll be reading all the XS Max reviews and complaints here at MacRumors.com for months before I finally buy one.
I'm not getting ripped-off again, like I did with TWO different earlier X phones! :eek:

BTW, the crew here at MacRumors forum have been a great help over the last several months.
Lot of good info here from you posters.
Thank you!
-Ej-

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After using the xs max.

I’m really confused by your post, because in the quote below you stated in another thread that a ‘$1500 iPhone XS makes no sense’, so did you really purchase the iPhone XS? Because the way you’re making it appear in post below, you *never* purchased an iPhone XS at all.

I think that spending more than 1 day in aggravation with a device that costs ~$1500 makes no sense.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
The iPhone 8 may be the last, smallest and lightest* phone Apple ever sells.

Also it's funny reading some of these responses about how people like the 8 or smaller phone sizes, but then you see their signature and they own the iPhone XS Max.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
The iPhone 8 may be the last, smallest and lightest* phone Apple ever sells.
FWIW...
I finally got my hands on the new iPhones for Fall 2018 (plus read & watched a ton of reviews), and after 10 years of being a happy Apple iOS guy I'll be buying my first Samsung (Android) phone soon.

The new iPhone XS Max did absolutely nothing to improve on the shortcomings and clumsiness of the original X-phone, and to make matters worse rumors say the 'X' form factor will be the default for all iOS devices in the near future. :eek:

Last year when I got my first iPhone X and was stunned by it's un-intuitive & clumsy operation, (and a GPS that doesn't function at all!) I had faith that it was just a bump in the road of progress for Apple, but now the new XS Max proves that Apple's 'X' tumor is indeed malignant.

The X-phone... What a train wreck for us long-time iOS fans. :(

77sunsetstrip

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
FWIW...
I finally got my hands on the new iPhones for Fall 2018 (plus read & watched a ton of reviews), and after 10 years of being a happy Apple iOS guy I'll be buying my first Samsung (Android) phone soon.

The new iPhone XS Max did absolutely nothing to improve on the shortcomings and clumsiness of the original X-phone, and to make matters worse rumors say the 'X' form factor will be the default for all iOS devices in the near future. :eek:

Last year when I got my first iPhone X and was stunned by it's un-intuitive & clumsy operation, (and a GPS that doesn't function at all!) I had faith that it was just a bump in the road of progress for Apple, but now the new XS Max proves that Apple's 'X' tumor is indeed malignant.

I agree. I love my iPhone 8.

Reactions: Electrojake

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
FWIW...

Good luck (sincerely). You’ll be back. The longest I’ve ever owned a Samsung phone (last one was the S9) is 4 months. Never again. I just sold my iP8 and am using the XS. I’ve never had a single GPS issue. Now that Google Maps and Waze both work with CarPlay I use GPS even more, and have had no problems with my XS.

If you’re going Android get a Pixel.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
Good luck (sincerely). You’ll be back. The longest I’ve ever owned a Samsung phone (last one was the S9) is 4 months. Never again. I just sold my iP8 and am using the XS. I’ve never had a single GPS issue. Now that Google Maps and Waze both work with CarPlay I use GPS even more, and have had no problems with my XS.

If you’re going Android get a Pixel.
Ya' know... I have a feeling you're right.
No matter how bad the new Apple 'X' hardware seems right now fact is I am truly an iOS guy and will probably return to iOS after a short stint with Android.

And thanks for the 'Pixel' advice too. I'll look into it.
Regards, :apple:
-Ej-

Reactions: Harthag

MajkJaro

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2013
This thread is very helpful. I am actualy torn between an iPhone 8 and X. Currently I own a 6 and I am happy with it besides my battery - sometimes it just drops from 60 to 30 in like 2 minutes when scrolling through twitter. Or it has 60% and suddenly drops to 23? Have it now for about 2,5 years. Don't want to spend money on new battery cause I am not 100% percent sure what causes such drainage.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 8 and it feels like an updated 6 and 7. Ultrafast! The screen is great. Don't know whether I am gonna adjust to the longer screen on the X. And the X in Poland is like 300$ more... That is a lot. Will be looking on this thread.
There is also 8+ in my head but mostly I use my phone for calls, calendar, messages and browsing (less). I carry it always in my pocket.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
My girlfriend has an iPhone 8 and it feels like an updated 6 and 7. Ultrafast! The screen is great. Don't know whether I am gonna adjust to the longer screen on the X. And the X in Poland is like 300$ more... That is a lot. Will be looking on this thread.
There is also 8+ in my head but mostly I use my phone for calls, calendar, messages and browsing (less). I carry it always in my pocket.
Get an 8, it's a 6 on steroids.

Don't get an 8 Plus unless you're willing to carry a big and heavy phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.