Am I crazy???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SangYuP, Aug 27, 2011.

1. SangYuP, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

SangYuP macrumors newbie

Would I be crazy to buy the magic trackpad to use with my new mbp? I know the built-in trackpad has the same functionality as the magic trackpad, but I think having the trackpad separate from the laptop may be better for me. Plus the magic trackpad is a bit bigger and probably easier to use. I usually use my laptop laying on my couch on my side and after awhile it gets uncomfortable using the trackpad due to the angle. I'm thinking having a separate trackpad would let me position it anywhere. Also, another added benefit would be that I wouldn't wear out the built-in trackpad or the palm rest as much or as quickly. What do you think? Am I crazy and just throwing money out the window by getting the trackpad? Should I maybe invest in the magic mouse?

2. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

I wouldn't, but I always use my computer at a desk. The trackpad doesn't really wear out unless you touch it with gross fingers or something. Magic mouse + macbook pro trackpad is a nice combination. I can't say I'd want two trackpads anymore than I'd want two magic mouses.

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I do exactly this. I find the front edges of my Macbook Pro too sharp when using the built-in trackpad. The vast majority of the time, I am using my laptop while sitting in my recliner which has nice puffy arm cushions. The magic trackpad is just awesome to use with the MBP in this manner. The only problem is that isn't doesn't click down, but I only need that when I need to drag. Then I use the built-in trackpad.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Magic trackpad is great but the only problem is that if you use it on soft surface (like mattress, sofa, cloth) it wont work because the clicker is located on the bottom of the trackpad. not on the inside.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

I use a Magic Trackpad and wireless keyboard, it is great when I want to sit a bit back from my MBP or have it connected to my HDTV or montior. I attached them to a Magic Connector and everything works great.

6. SangYuP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm almost certain I will get one but one thing, can you clarify the clicker being on the bottom and not inside?

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I don't have one (I have no problem using the trackpad on my laptop, and use Mobile Mouse Pro when I have it hooked up to a HDTV), but I understand that the "clicker" is in the two feet in the front of the Magic Pad. I guess a way around this would be to use it on a small, hard surface. Maybe find a hard-back book that's around the size of the trackpad, and cut one side of the cover off? Or a tile a little bigger than the pad, or...you get the idea.

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Before even reading the body of your post, I knew the answer.

Yes.

9. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The magic trackpad is great. I have one and a separate BT keyboard when I put the MBP 17" on the Rain stand. Sometimes, I've even just left the MBP on a coffee table, while I placed the magic pad on the armrest of the sofa to use the MBP.

The clicker is indeed on the lower part of the pad. But, do you actually click instead of using the single tap option?

10. Jrv macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but if you use the magic trackpad with a macbook pro, you're crazy. That is a gross misuse of funds. A mouse would be a much better accessory.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

If you are using a computer lying down, I am not sure how necessary it is to have a "pro" computer, and you will probably find the ipad a much more pleasant experience. i guess it is difficult for me to imagine curling up with my mbp to bust out a report...

12. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

13. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

clearly

but seriously, you might even consider a keyboard too so you could hook it up to a tv nearby

and still be on a couch

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

The bluetooth trackpad is an very good accessory; Why?

It's huge, ergonomic, portable/movable, but mostly; it works really well: very smooth operation.

The reason I'm gushing, is that I didn't think it would work as well as the built-in trackpad, no way. But I think it actually works better :)

If you work at a desk get one. If you work at a desk with a larger monitor you MUST get one :D

If you just use it on your lap, then of course it serves zero purpose; unless you have some comfort issues (which I don't myself).