Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by motoxpress, Nov 29, 2011.

1. motoxpress macrumors 6502

So, I have a late 2008 Unibody MBP with the 2.53 C2D. I don't use it as a mobile computer any longer and I want to upgrade to a desktop system. I mainly use it for design and video work.

I am seriously considering moving to the Mini with the 6630M video. I know an iMac would be better but, I like the price and size of the mini. It will be such a huge improvement in power that I should see a significant improvement in my Adobe apps. All my storage is external any so, that won't be a problem. Is there any reason I will be losing on this?

-mx

2. dakhein macrumors member

Does your mbp ramp up in noise when you use your apps like adobe? If so, you will probably hear it again on the mini. While I haven't used photoshop or the like on an iMac, I have tested games on both the 2011 Mini (w/ Radeon) and iMac and the Mini definitely gets as noisy as an mbp but the iMac is still whisper-quiet.

3. russelldirect macrumors member

I don't think it's a bad idea. Plus, you can definitely sell that MBP and cover the cost of the new Mac Mini. I just sold my late 2007 MacBook Pro for $700, which covered the cost of my new screen and PS3 (both of which I use for work).

4. motoxpress thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point on noise. The MBP does ramp up on the fans playing games however.

-mx