Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon10, Apr 6, 2016.

1. jon10 macrumors newbie

The following may seem like the ramblings of someone who has an acute case of amnesia or is the village idiot. Regardless it would be immensely helpful if anyone could inform me if the following is possible.

The problem/s:

I have a mid Macbook pro 2010 mid running Snow Leopard.
    I had been having continual trouble with it just dying on me without warning.
    I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. It seemed to work fine for a few days before the problem began to happen again.
    I had replaced the original battery with an Anker 8 months earlier and the battery appeared fine.

The charger was an original Mac charger that came with the machine but was old and I had my suspicions. The machine would run fine unattached to the power cord and then die. Sometimes connected sometimes not. There was no pattern.
    Soon after the machine began to die as soon as it wasn’t connected via the power lead. The frequency of these cut outs ended up killing my new SSD. The SSD could not be repaired through disk utility. The machine wouldn’t boot from the SSD so I had to install Snow Leopard onto an external drive and boot from there.
    The machine briefly ran fine this way then the power lead stopped working.

I replaced the power lead with a brand new apple charger correct for my machine. It seemed to work fine in the evening so I updated my operating system on my external drive to Yosemiti. Again it briefly ran fine until I went to turn it on only 2 days later only to hear 3 beeps that suggests there is a problem with the RAM. Black screen. No boot run.

3 weeks later:
    I hadn’t tried to turn the machine on for 3 weeks. (Remember – the SSD was corrupted and couldn’t be repaired via disk utility. It wouldn’t even go into boot mode only beeping 3 times.)
    The put the machine down on the repair guys desk. The repair guy presses the ‘on’ button and it boots up first time, the original Snow Leopard OSX, desktop fine, SSD fine smooth, everything. He shut it down, tried again, fine. Again, again … no problem, all is well.

My question is: is this possible?
    Can a computer fix itself? I have a very ludicrous idea that in the past three weeks whilst I’ve been away the machine has been repaired by someone.

My second question is: I have spent roughly £300 on updates and repairs to the machine and it is getting to the point where spending anymore on an old machine is not worth it. Having said this I have no need to update and was happy with the machine. Do the above issues sound like a motherboard problem?

My great thanks for any help with this.
    Please someone … tell me I’m not crazy!!??

2. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Computers fix themselves all the time, but right when they do, expect it to blow up again!

3. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

The issues you listed could be any number of things, really. If it were me, I'd embrace the fact that it's working well again and start saving towards a new model. That way when there's an issue in the future, which there likely will be at some point, you have the option there to upgrade without any burden being put on you. Six years is a great run, and if you get another bit out of it, even better.

Keep solid backups as well, so that you don't lose data!