Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grahamtearne, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. grahamtearne macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2006
    Ok so my MBP 2.16ghz Core Duo is out of warranty next month, I know I can buy apple care but this is what I am thinking of doing instead.

    Ok so I am off to University in September and I am studying digital visual effects. I will be doing animation work, video editing and compositing, so I will need to run software such as Final Cut Pro and Shake etc. Both of which I have ran on my MBP CD. The University has loads of Mac Pros/Powermacs etc so I dont really need a personal rendering machine, just a machine where I can work in my dorm room do some work etc and maybe take it back over to the big beefy Mac Pros for rendering etc.

    I really like the new iMacs and I want a desktop computer so that fits the bill nicely, ill go for the higher end 20" and that should serve me nicely for working in my room. So this brings me to my aging core duo nearly out of warranty MBP. Do I really need a MBP just for taking notes, doing research etc? Id say probably not and I especially like the idea of a smaller MB.

    So my plan is to sell my MBP for around £879 (comes with iLife 08 legit boxed version, spare batteries etc, already had some interest just dont want to do something stupid, hence why I am asking you guys), and buy a black Macbook in replacement for £810 on student discount. Ill gain cpu power and lose gpu power, a tradeoff I think is worth it as I am planning on getting an iMac. (and ill get fresh extended 3year student discount on the MB)

    Bottom line, am I crazy for planning on 'downgrading' from the MBP to the MB?

    I think it really makes sense, more portability round campus, fresh warranty, 64bit cpu etc and a desktop for more gpu intensive tasks. Or would you recomend keeping my MBP even though I will be getting an iMac?

    I know you may think I have already made my mind up, and I probably have, but if you all think Im crazy 'downgrading' I would reconsider, as some of you have a lot more mac experiences than I do.

    Sorry for the long post.
  2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 16, 2007
    Jacked into the net...
    I would keep the pro. But that's just me. I think any 15" MBP is just as portable as the MBs.
  3. jczubach macrumors 6502


    May 15, 2007
    OK! already, i've attempted to read this circular logic twice and am still confused... how, why, when ,where, wtf????, gives you the idea that you have somehow 'gotten ahead of the game?' seriously, i may have missed a serious point somewhere and would just like it to be pointed out so that i can correct my illogical thinking.. that's all.:)
  4. shecky Guest


    May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
  5. grahamtearne thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 23, 2006
    I am aware that it will not run on the intergrated graphics of the Macbook, my point was I will have an iMac to run that, and as it would be faster than my MBP it kind of makes the MBP a waste. I have access to Mac Pros for more power for rendering etc which leaves me to the portable laptop.

    My thinking was I could make around £50 in selling my MBP and getting a Black Macbook, get 3 years warranty through the HE store, and have a faster computer for cpu tasks such as word processing, web research etc as it would be core 2 duo, over core duo, meaning 64bit computing for leopard. Not only would it be faster at what the notebook would be doing (like I said even if I keep the pro, it WONT be doing heavy work like Final Cut, that will be done on the iMac so I want a computer thats portable and fast for research etc and the Macbook seemed logical, would make a little cash in process and get 3 years warranty and a 64bit cpu.

    Maybe my OP wasnt clear that the notebook would only be used for lighter tasks.
  6. jczubach macrumors 6502


    May 15, 2007
    Ok it was clear, and then you took the time to spell it all out to me and i saw your intentions and a big part of me died inside, and i felt sorry for you, and then i felt sorry for some other people around me, and then i felt horrible for the Mac Community at large... do what you gotta do.
  7. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    :eek: No Intel Mac are "aging".....they are still very fast. Core Duo is still nice...its not even a year old! Most people who speed 2K+ on a computer should use it for more then >1 year
  8. grafikat macrumors 6502a


    Dec 5, 2003
    Keep the machine. Newer isn't always the right answer.

    Your MBP will work just find.
  9. Saikou macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2007
    Very true, unless you can get close to what you bought it for when you sell it. Macs generally have very good resale value. I see what the OP is talking about, and think it would be a good idea if he sees fit to do so. the MB is beautiful.

    I'm currently torn between the MBP and the MB Black.. Gotta make my decision before tomorrow. I start University on thursday, and the apple store closes this monday - friday for renovation... So tomorrow is my day.
  10. megfilmworks macrumors 68020


    Jul 1, 2007
    Sherman Oaks
    DANGER Will Robinson!!
    Pro apps don't run well on non pro machines, especially video and audio apps.
    Believe me I know!!
    If you want frustration then that is what you will be buying.
    To me the MacBook Pro is as light as I want to get.
  11. grafikat macrumors 6502a


    Dec 5, 2003
    With everything else you have to deal with, why go through selling, buying and resetting up a new machine for such a nominal bump in performance.

    Gawd, I wish I would have had this problem when I went to college!
  12. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    I don't know, I sold my refurb white MB CD 2.0 (after 9 months) and bought a MBP SR 2.2

    One of the benefits of buying a Mac is the great resale value. There's a lot of upgrading going on and with Winclone, Superduper and application/user migration, setting up a new machine is not nearly so difficult as one would think.

    If you take great care of your Mac (mine is always connected to an external keyboard and monitor or safe in its sleeve) it will sell quite well. I just keep a sharp meat cleaver next to it to lop of the fingers of anyone who attempts to point (touch) my beautiful glossy display.

    Upgrade and upgrade often I say. More Macs will sell and more first timers will get deals and the Mac assimilation of society will continue unabated.

  13. steve31 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2007
    Edmonton Canada
    I understand what you are saying. I feel the same so I am getting a BLK MB my self for the portability and keeping my MBP for my at home needs where I run stronger apps. Although the MBP and MB weights almost the same I need a smaller notebook at times. I really wish apple would put out a kick ass 12-13' notebook.:)
  14. solvs macrumors 603


    Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Couldn't you just extend your warranty now on your MBP?
  15. kolax macrumors G3

    Mar 20, 2007
    I'd get a MacBook and sell the MacBook Pro.

    Smaller, more portable and are perfect for just doing notes, email, internet etc. Leaving your iMac to do the rest.
  16. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

    May 20, 2007
    I'd much rather have a rev A MBP than a new MB.

    One alternative for you would be to just get a 20" TFT (Nec 20WGX2Pro? Samsung 215TW?) instead of an iMac, connect that to your MBP and use that as desktop. Hook up wireless keyboard, mouse and a firewire-HDD if you want to.

    If you DO go for the iMac I'd rather take the cheapest 24" than the more expensive 20".
  17. Kace macrumors regular

    Sep 8, 2005
    well this is what i did. i purchased the 17" core duo when it came out. however towards the end of last year after completing a few contracts i had sufficient money to buy a mac pro. after using the mac pro for 6+ months i decided to sell the MBP as it was hardly being used. i ended up selling the MBP just before the SR updates came out and as recently as thursday purchased a black MB for lighter tasks/word processing, etc.
    my decision was purely based on the fact that after the mac pro my MBP was hardly being put through its paces. and frankly im quite happy with what i did.

    however in your case you'd be selling your MBP and purchasing two computers at the same time the iMac and the MB.
    i'd either be happy with the MBP and live with it (Core Duo Vs Core 2 Duo - hardly a deal breaker) or i'd purchase the iMac now, wait 6 months or so anf then swap the notebooks. another option (depending on your FCS needs) would be to by the MB in exchange of the MBP and then wait till perhaps the next iMac upgrades and then buy.
    but thats just me, i detest the idea of buying 2 computers at the same time.

    also, i lived without a laptop for about 3 months as i wanted to split my MP and MB purchase as far apart as possible. was off uni for about 8 weeks in the middle though. after starting a new semester in august i really did require a notebook so purchased the MB this past thursday, upgraded the ram to 2GB. overall i pocketed about A$500 after making the swap. however, saving money should not be a factor as at some point you did pay for a more expensive system and no matter what you are loosing money if you do go through with your purchase.

    hope this helps...
  18. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Ditto. Use the iMac for heavy lifting and the MB for note taking. Plus the MBPs can sometimes be the price of an iMac + MB. There will always be people who would tell you to keep the MBP even if its a 1.83 CD with no warranty......a lot of people have an affinity for the MBP over a MB. I should know as i am one of them but sometimes you have to be practical.
  19. iTeen macrumors 65816


    Aug 13, 2007
  20. darkcurse macrumors 6502a


    Nov 5, 2005
    I think its ok since if you needed to run the pro apps you could use the iMac. And the new iMacs are sweet! Though you prob should ask for more on that "old" MBP
  21. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

    Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd purchase the apple care extended plan and keep the MBP, but I don't think you're crazy.
  22. iCheddar macrumors 6502a


    Apr 30, 2007
    South Dakota
    So you talked about using a Mac Pro for rendering. I'm assuming your plan would be to edit on whatever computer you've got, then do the actual rendering with a Mac Pro.

    But...assuming you sell the are you going to use a remote Mac Pro to render? Its not like you're going to lug your iMac down there to do it.:confused:
  23. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Yes, you could sell your MBP for roughly the same cost as a new MB. But keep in mind -- based on the apps you use, you'll be getting a machine which will be significantly less functional than your current MBP. But if you'd rather spend $1100+ to save an inch or two of space and get a new warranty, rather than spend $249 (student discount) to insure your current, far more useful computer, then go for it.

    My own personal opinion is yes, you are crazy for dumping the MBP to get a MB. ;)
  24. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2004
    i've got a macbook and a macbook pro.

    A few days ago, I would have said stick with the pro. Forget about internals for a second; physically, it's much better quality. IMO the Macbook is the worst computer Apple ever built in terms of actual physical quality. The plastic is completely cracked on mine and the units just feel cheap. And while this is through some fault of my own, I have read numerous posts about cracked macbooks. The previous iBooks were much better built in my opinion - particularly the G3s. I have the first G3 white iBook. I can slam this on a table, drop it on the floor, throw it on the couch or whatever and feel comfortable knowing that it won't break. With the MacBooks, I feel like I have to be careful even placing it down on a desk. I'm not saying that I do throw my machines around, I'm just proving a point about peace-of-mind. The current Macbooks feel like a Fisher Price toy, but not as good.

    However, I recently got an iMac and find myself using neither portable most of the time. My day-to-day work is performed on the iMac. I will use the pro to work from the couch or work from starbucks etc. The BlackBook is now reserved for travelling.

    Note that my Pro is an entry level C2D - pre Santa Rosa and the iMac is the entry-level one of the new design. I don't need too much power given that I only use the machines for writing, surfing, chatting, and iLifing (iPhoto, Home Movies, etc). No hardcore video editing or anything like that - although I could easily use the MBP to accomplish that (and I'm assuming the iMac). I found my BlackBook sluggish even with the old iMovie (haven't tried the new one on it, however).

    So, if you're going to be using your laptop for basic, basic, basic stuff, a MacBook might be ideal. It's all about where you're going to be spending the majority of your time.

    The worst thing you want is to get the iMac and then realize that you spend most of your time working out of a library, coffee-shop, etc and be stuck with a sub-par machine and a desktop that you barely touch.

    But if you're confident that you'll be confined to a desktop or to the Mac Pros, then your "am i crazy" thought might just be perfectly sane.

Share This Page