iPad mini Am I deceiving myself?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ditzy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I normally work on the principle that you should leave two generations between buying new iOS devices, ie I replaced my 4s with a 5s.
    This should mean that I replace my original iPad mini, with next year's model. Here is where the possible self deceiving comes in to play. I'm strongly considering buying this year's model, here is how I'm justifying it to myself. The original mini was a small iPad 2, while the new mini is a small iPad 5. Which means it's not one gen ahead, but actually three.
    Is this self delusion?

2. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

If you're on here looking for people to confirm your eventual purchase, there's already no turning back. You're buying this thing. Logic will have no say in this. :)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have such policies but rather I work on the ideal that if an upgrade has sufficient changes that I want, or need then I get it.

The iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5s, for instance didn't have enough upgrades to warrant a purchase. The iPhone 6 may or may not. If I don't like what I see then I'll wait even longer because my current phone is fitting my needs.

Swinging back to the iPad discussion, I think the A7 processor, the retina screen are huge improvements on an already great device. If you do a lot of reading and found the screen to be a bit wanting then yes upgrade.

What's the worst that can happen - you sell the rMini next year for the rMini 2 that may come out.

I think the rMini is a big enough jump in specs, and features that for me, I made the jump and ordered one :)

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Here is where you are deceiving yourself: trying to justify upgrading what is essentially an adult toy (in the G, not XXX, meaning of the word). I bought my first Mini on impulse (had a 3 at the time) just upgraded to rMini because it's the one thing I hated about the first version. But it's impossible for a consumer to justify because it's hardly a life essential. I could argue the the regular iPad is if it takes the place of a computer, but the Mini's smaller workspace isn't an efficient machine to get actual work done. But, personally, I find the Mini more fun and enjoyable to use for casual activities like reading, and also as a remote control (Harmony, Yamaha, ATV/iTunes).

So stop feeling guilty about upgrading and do it. Trade in value for the original mini is still surprisingly good. I just got $194 from Amazon for a device that cost me $299 last year. $8.33 a month "rent" on a Mini isn't so bad. The $ reality is there is little if any difference is cost of ownership between upgrading every year vs every two years. It's different for phones because they are subsidized and there are extra costs getting out of a contract early.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Not at all, and you logically explained exactly why this upgrade makes sense. The 2012 iPad Mini was clearly an interim product but we ignored its outdated specs because its appeal was based purely on its physical design price. It was a product we bought knowing full well that it was already out of date and ready to be replaced.

That said, my wife has an iPad Mini and side-by-side with the Retina Mini then I'm surprised at how incremental the upgrade actually "feels". The screen looks better with text but overall the experience is identical because, while the iPad Mini 2 was upgraded to do things marginally better, it doesn't actually do anything "new".

So my opinion is that you are right either way. Get it now and it's a solid upgrade from your "3gen old" iPad Mini OR Stick with your 2yr upgrade plan and get the product that this was supposed to be (Touch ID, More RAM, A 64bit app catalog, 32GB base models, TouchID and of course the new gimmick).

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I have found that the mini functions well for G and XXX purposes.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

This. Rather than adhere to a blind "policy" of skip-generation upgrades, the better perspective is to compare cost of upgrading against the perceived value of the new features/capabilities.

Sometimes that means a single generation, sometimes that means skipping a generation.

8. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Exactly. I upgrade every year. It is my one vice. All of my iOS and Android devices are on a yearly upgrade cycle.

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I was happy enough with my Mini's lower screen resolution, but the new Mini is faster. That would be enough justification for me. ;)

11. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same situation as you, owning an original Ipad mini and ordering an upgrade. I don't really need it; the original mini is wonderful, and it's definitely plenty fast enough for what I do. But I use it a huge amount for reading and do notice the pixilation, so that's my motive. Assuming I go through with it, I think it will be a very long while before i upgrade again.

12. ipaclansite macrumors member

I just made the jump, and after finally using it and comparing the original mini with the new one, the difference is pretty big. I do a lot of reading on the device, and being able to see razor sharp text along with the huge speed increase was more than enough to justify the upgrade. I only wish it stayed at the original mini price :rolleyes:, but it is worth it, even though it was more of an impulse buy, I don't think I could go back.

13. scupking macrumors 6502a

For me the big thing is speed increase, retina screen and better wifi performance. All the things I wish the original had!

14. 617aircav Suspended

Bought 3 retina minis for myself, brother and sister. Returned all three yesterday after using it just seemed too expensive. Will be getting a nook hd for myself for $80 on Black Friday.

15. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

Well I've decided. I absolutely think that the new mini is a worthy upgrade over the old one, and I can completely justify buying one. I don't feel I've got my money's worth out of my present mini. Which means that I'll order the next on the day of release.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You may not feel you've not gotten your money's worth but here is reality:

Today

$299 (original cost) - $185 (trade in value @ Apple) = $114/12 months = $9.5 per month

This time next year

$299 (original cost) - $100 (trade in value @ Apple) = $199/24 months = $8.29 per month.

So holding on to your mini for another year saves you a whopping $14.52.

17. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

Now you've got me thinking about it again.

18. prism macrumors 6502a

I think the correct way to see it is jumping from ipad 2 to ipad 4. The rMini is slightly thicker and heavier but has a retina screen and is much faster. This is comparable to the changes from ipad 2 to ipad 4.

19. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Well you covinced me buddy. :D

I say go for it!!! Three generations is more than enough justification.

20. MTL18 macrumors regular

You are.

You have a rule of upgrading, and are searching for a reason to break it. Sorry to be the bummer :eek:

However, if you have the cash and want it...who really cares? Go buy one! :apple: