Am I doing something wrong, or apple navigation suck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fixmy59bug, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

For the third time using navigation (called Maps), I input my destination, click start, and the navigation tracks me as it should.

What it shouldn't do is go to sleep only to have to be manually woken up.

When navigation was active on my HTC EVO, the phone would go to sleep, but when I was coming up to a turn, it would wake itself up to tell me so.

So, is there a setting I can click to keep the phone active when navigation is on?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

iphone navigation sucks. It really is a joke that it hasn't gotten an ounce of attention after 5 versions of iOS. and no there isn't a way to keep the screen on. I also find that really annoying.

edit: ok I was technically wrong. You can have it so it doesn't auto lock (person above me) but then its that way for the entire phone in general. Which I doubt you want. If you want to make it never shut off for the maps app specifically, there is no way to do that.

4. Fixmy59bug thread starter macrumors newbie

I am fine with the phone never auto locking.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The best .99 I have spent was the 30 days of telenav (then I got the year navigation as well), this way I have all the space on my phone not being used up with maps of the entire US, but I still have voice turn by turn with some of the best maps available.

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

That's a terrible answer and probably not a good idea. You forget to turn the screen off and you're going to just drain the battery.

The real answer to the question is the 'maps' app on the iPhone isn't 'navigation', it's simply a map and gives you directions. Getting directions and having navigation are 2 different things.

A better solution would be try a different app. I know 'mapquest4mobile' is a free turn-by-turn navigation app. I'm not sure if it behaves like your android did though, but I'd check it out. I believe there are at least a couple of other free navi apps as well.

7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Navigon

Turn by turn, voice, pretty good. You can get a cheaper version, by state or region instead of the whole US.

8. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

Google map sucks as a navigation software. It requires Internet connection, does not know the legal speed limit and warn you when you exceed it, does not tell you where the red lights camera are.

There are so many good GPS software in the market, TomTom, Navigon, Copilot, just to name a few. All of them give you the option of remaining active in sleep mode and continue to give you navigation instruction, or alternatively just speed and safety camera warning, so that you can conserve the battery.

9. Lukus macrumors member

Left 4 Dead sucks as a word-processor.

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

That's not that bad of an idea. I have always set my phone to never automatically lock. I just lock it when I am done. If I didn't lock it myself I would be worried about pocket dialing people all the time.

11. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

12. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

I second this...

13. globality macrumors member

Agree best online navigation software I ever tried. So if you don't mind keeping online connection go for it and it is only 9.99/y. But if you want maps on board try Tomtom/navigon/garmin

14. hoju macrumors newbie

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Honestly, I wish Apple would disable navigation features in the stock Google Maps app. If it's not going to work well, it shouldn't work at all.

Many nice navi apps, I personally like Garmin USA (the one with all the maps resident in the phone so it doesn't chew data) but also have used MotionX GPS Drive with good results. Both of those prevent the phone from sleeping while the app is active.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The stock app is not really intended for you to use while you're driving, rather to check up on it from time to time to confirm your route. For most, this is fine, as they already know the nooks and crannys of their city, and just need some directions to get somewhere.

For a true Navigation app, try the ones listed above, including TeleNav and Garmin.

17. Hpye macrumors 6502

DOWNLOAD THE app called WAZE, its free and free navigation..try it

18. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

I second this...Waze is fantastic!! Just remember to use the Turn Off button when you're done so it doesn't keep going in the background.

19. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

It's kind of hard to understand why Apple has such a good compass and gps yet no turn by turn yet. My biggest complaint would be no TBT navigation. Sprint has it for free but Apple wont let them put it on the Iphone :confused:

20. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I wouldn't want to use an iPhone as a GPS because i Have a gps! When using it the GPS is better than the iphone

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

For the OP There is no such thing as Apple Navigation (yet). As other have said you will need a 3rd party app for that.

Apple did buy a maps or navigation company last year and there were rumors that Navigation was going to be part of iOS4 but that never happened and we know it is not in iOS5 so maybe iOS6 it will be ready for prime time.

22. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Fingers crossed for that or a update or something.
    I shouldn't have to go buy a stand alone or buy a $30 app for something my provider has. I loved the navigation on my Evo. I have seen Google was working on a map's app for IOS but I'm sure it wont happen.

23. Hpye macrumors 6502

WAZE Is turn by turn app

24. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Yea I'm going to try it.

25. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Actually you should, no where has Apple promised you navigation. So you bought the phone knowing that or at least should have known that. The provisions are there to add first rate navigation apps. So if it's really that important to you that you have a free navigation app with TbT then you bought the wrong phone and should go back to your HTC that seemed to better met your needs.