Am I doing this backup correctly?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oxband, Mar 5, 2017.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

Over the years, I have kept backing up my HD and the movies, music and photos i've collected has almost filled the backups. I've decided I'll start dividing between music, movies, and photos - which are things I want cumulatively - and a bootable backup of my system.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backups. To do the media backup, should I just select the photos, music, and movie folder and copy? It won't be bootable, but that's OK as that's not the point. I think I have this right....I just wanna make sure before i do it.

2. BleverCastard macrumors newbie

BleverCastard

Hi oxband,

That is the correct way, yes. You can also use TimeMachine to back up your data.

Regards.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"To do the media backup, should I just select the photos, music, and movie folder and copy? It won't be bootable, but that's OK as that's not the point"

Yes, that should work fine, only thing involved is going through CCC's "checklist" and unchecking everything you don't want backed up.

Personal experience:
    I partitioned my Mini's hard drive into several partitions, including:
    - main (personal documents, spreadsheets, data, etc.)
    - music (mp3's and music videos)
    - media (photos and books)
    - general (software archives, movies)

I use CCC to backup up these partitions to backup drives with "target partitions" for each backup.

This way, I don't have to fool around with the "checking/unchecking" business, and each backup goes amazingly fast...