am i doomed in south floriduh?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Jul 19, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i could be making some major decisions in the next month or so. right now, i'm applying for a teaching position at the local school system, which is currently the only position i really can take within an hour's drive of me (yes, i live in the boonies of floriduh), and i haven't heard back from the district yet, and i'm worried that i've been turned down. if you don't already know, i graduated with a biology degree a few months back and there are very few biology jobs in my area, closest ones are probably a few hours drive away, and it's not too well there either. i don't have a driver's license (which is required since there's no other way to get anywhere at all in my area), and everything is far and i have no friends, and everyone is old. i feel miserable here most of the time, and i don't think there is much left i can do here.

i also look back to the good old days back in san diego where things were nicer, you didn't need a car to go somewhere, everything was in reach, the town never died in the summer, a better time. i was happy there, and it seemed like nothing could go wrong, where here, everything does go wrong. i feel if i go back there, i could at least feel a bit better about myself and instead of feeling miserable, i can at least get some of that old feeling back.

so here's the questions.

1. should i stay and keep trying in south florida to get a job and work my way up to be happy here, or move to san diego?
    2. should i move to san diego or elsewhere?

i just need some outside perspectives since i'm tired of the same old story from my small circle. i'm thinking the reason for all my problems was in fact this place...

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. And even if you did get the teaching position in your local school district, you still can't drive...how would you get there?

I say, get out of Florida and put yourself someplace where you already feel happy and comfortable, and then build on that.

I've never been to Florida, but I'm going on a road trip there in a few weeks. Is there any specific thing that makes Florida so bad?

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think it sounds like you know what you want to do. And it also sounds like that would make you happier. I suggest putting together a plan that will get it done down on paper and working towards that. For instance, do you need to work for a few months to earn some money to help the move go smoother? Estimate how much, and keep track of that visibly.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

this is third thread i have seen from you (#1 and #2) about changing your life.

i am really not trying to be a dick here, but there is a massive difference between doing something and talking about doing something.

so to answer your question, yes, you are doomed in south florida. start making plans right now, i mean like, RIGHT NOW to get out.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have read quite a few of your posts where you mention your love of San Diego and your dislike for Florida. What is keeping you there if you dislike it so much?

6. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's a combination of several things, but i live in the boonies, which make things twice as bad. it's a nice place for a trip, but not to live, especially not in the summer. it's hot and muggy, rains every day, power surges are common, there's not much to do in the summer besides orlando theme parks (and i'm boycotting them), and there's not really much for a 20 something. it's mostly good for old retired people. sigh.

two problems, i don't have a car, so i can't really work anywhere else expect school, and plus all other jobs are very far away, so even working here is a challenge.

and i saw the posts about me changing my life, but i really can't do anything. i think i've became someone i swear i didn't want to be...someone that just says what i wanted to do, and never actually does it. i don't want to be that person. i'm pretty much stuck in a rut right now. it's really a tough time, i'm trying to see what i really want. it's going to be tough to leave, but i'm thinking more and more for my sanity, i will be forced to soon.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Exactly. With your dwelling over "making do here and grow to be happy here" in Florida, there must be a catch.

If there isn't, then just get off your ass and move to California.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Ahh, I just got back from a trip with my family to Disney World and it was nice and everything, and Florida is a pretty state, but the weather sucks! The temp was lower there than here in SoCal, but oh, the humidity!! And the everyday rains! Both of those made me wishing to go back to California after a few days out of the week we stayed there for. I'd pick smog over humidity any day. :D

9. shecky Guest

shecky

sorry, but thats a bullspit copout. you always have choices. ALWAYS. you seem to have a problem deciding to make a choice and then act upon it.

Nike said it best, really:

Just do it.

:)

10. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ditto.

You're probably miserable because you spend too much time whining and planning and never doing, which sucks more than just whining and no planning.

Friends of mine have done it. Packed up and moved out with just a suitcase to NYC or wherever and waitressed/waitered their way to something new.

Yes, it's going to suck more than your life right now probably. But if you're not going to do anything, stop whining about it here.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not get a car or license? You wont get anywhere outside of NYC without one.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, get your driver's license first, then GO from there...

(ha, ha, yes, pun intended...)

13. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

are you on the east coast of FL? I know over here on the west coast (Naples to Tampa) they cant find enough teachers... in fact, i was told in fort myers/ cape coral area they were hiring people without teaching degrees with the agreement that they would eventually get their education completed. :eek:

14. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

++

You need to just get on with it and get packing. You don't want to be sitting in Florida in your 80s (possibly wearing incontinence pants) wondering where it all went wrong. It's a bit cliched but you want to regret the things you did do, not the things that you didn't. I say get yourself to San Diego if you want to be there.

Once you are there it's done and you won't have to ponder any more. You will have to get the things you need like a job and whatever out of neccessity. That's a pretty big motivator, you work or you starve.

Once you've done that and got settled down you may never look back.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Put whatever will fit in your car and get the hell out. That's what I did when I moved here from Ohio. I daresay I'd be dead already if I hadn't done that.

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

you just need to get out of Florida. You clearly don't like it there and complain about it a lot. So just do it.

17. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Well, Ohio is much worse than Florida. I have been to the hellmouth, and it is called Ohio.

My inlaws have a place in Destin, FL...and while it is a nice destination spot, there isn't much for young folks. Come to think of it, Even Miami, FL didn't impress me. I guess Chicago sort of ruins everywhere else for you.

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Quit watching football, sitting home and playing video games.

If you have no ties in Florida, give yourself a big kick in the butt an try spending some time outside the US.

How about joining the Peace Corps? You have skills they'd need, you'd be looked after while you're doing that work, and it would give you the sort of big life changing experience it sounds like you want.