Am i doomed with my usb 2

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joeldenizot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. joeldenizot macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've got a macbook 5.1 that i bought in 2009. It's got 2 usb 2.0 ports. I am in audio and have been working in large studios but now am trying to bring my work home and I need some speedy data. Will i lose quality from a firewire conversion to usb? Is it possible to install a firewire card into my macbook? would that be worth it?

thanks alot,

-joel

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no Firewire to USB converter or adapter and no, you can't install any Firewire on your MB.
    If you need/want Firewire, you have to get another Mac or computer.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If with quality wise you mean the sound will sound worse, no. It will only make things slower. Which might make the sound sound worse while working on it. But once exported it should be fine.

4. joeldenizot thread starter macrumors newbie

Your wrong señor, there are several different kinds of firewire to usb converters....

So i guess moving on, Whats the quantity difference in quality comparatively between usb 2, firewire? Essentially is it worth buying a new computer for that difference in quality?

5. simsaladimbamba

Then please link to them.

Btw, if they exist, they are limited to the lowest interface, thus a Firewire 800 to USB 2.0 converter will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

USB 2.0 offers a maximum of 35-37 MB/s read/write speeds, but not in a constant stream, only in bursts. It also goes via the CPU.
    Firewire has its own controller, thus it is CPU-independent.
    Firewire offers a constant stream.
    Firewire offers read/write speeds from 35 MB/s (FW400) to 65-75 MB/S (FW800).