Am I dropping frames when I encode?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by StruckANerve, Mar 8, 2010.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I have been trying to encode some of my DVD's and when I stream them to my xbox the encodes have a very slight jitter or stutter to them. And when I mean slight it is barely noticeable but something is not right. It's usually only when the camera is panning across or there is fast movement. I am encoding h.264 in .mp4 at 2500kbs and using same as source for the FPS.

I am streaming wireless to my router from my Imac and then am hardwired to my xbox. My router does support gigabit ethernet and wireless N so I don't think that is the culprit.

2. rayward macrumors 68000

I don't know if XBox has de-interlacing capability but, if it doesn't, and the rips in question are of interlaced content (i.e. 480i), then you'll get this effect regardless of the bit rate / frame rate etc. You need to re-encode and set the clip to be de-interlaced during that process. You'll get a cleaner picture that way.

Handbrake will "decomb" an interlaced file, which (as I understand it) means that it will de-interlace as it sees fit, but not every frame. You can tell it to do a full de-interlace, but you may have to experiment until you find the best level of de-interlacing. On this element of Handbrake, I am far from being an expert.

3. StruckANerve thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take a look at that setting and see if it helps.

4. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Decomb is not on by default in any HB presets. You would have to set it in Picture Settings for HB to decomb a source. But yes decomb works well in place of deinterlace especially if you are not sure if all of your source is interlaced, many sources contrary to popular belief have both progressive as well as interlaced content. Decomb selectively deinterlaces the interlaced content while leaving the progressive (ie. not interlaced content ) alone. You never want to deinterlace a source that is not interlaced if you can help it.