Am i eligible for a replacement computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Nov 20, 2009.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I got my LCD replaced because it was acting up, and the glowing apple on the backlid has a solder point stuck in there, so they'd have to replace it again sometime. But one repair total.

Battery wouldn't hold a charge (got that replaced), optical drive spat out DL DVD+R's when trying to burn them (replaced), and logic board because of 8600M GT failure (replaced). That brings me to four repairs total, addressing the optical drive and 8600m gt failure in the same repair order though.

I think the 8600m gt on this will fail again too, and whenever i can use downtime without the computer, im going to tell them the lcd thing.

am i eligible for a replacement? if so, i might just wait until q1 2010 for the new refresh before speaking to customer service.

But this machine is getting annoying, and the hard drive performs like its on its way out in a month (lots of spinning beach balls)

early 2008 mbp, matte version.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'm not sure that the battery counts, but this next repair would be your fourth, which would mean that you qualify.

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

yeah i guess you're right.

1. Superdrive
    2. screen
    3. logic board

technically 4th is battery but that's an easy, replaceable fix prolly not counted.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If the LCD is screwed up now - that would put you at four, meaning replacement.

If the graphics card fails again - that would put you at four, meaning replacement.

The battery might count, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it not count, as if that was the case, i could have asked Apple to replace my MacBook Pro after four batter bulges.

Remember that it's not Apple's policy to just automatically hand over a new computer, while they do sometimes, the customer asking AppleCare is the only way to ensure that it can happen after the fourth failure has been identified.

5. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

how does the replacement program work over the phone? they send you a new laptop, you send them the old one?

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

You will negotiate what your replacement model would be like with the Apple Rep. Once determined, it will either be BTO or Stock Model. You will get your new laptop first then you have 30 days to return your old one. If you still have Apple Care, they will prorate you the Apple Care and you will have an option of buying a new Apple Care for your new MBP.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

As I understand you can only recieve a replacement if a single issue is repaired 3 times. Check on that.

Also, the way I've had my MacBook replaced twice is:
    Apple gives you a label via carrier or email.
    You ship your Mac.
    Once Apple sees that your Mac is being tracked they release yours.
    Your new Mac is treated as a new order. It is shipped from China in the same timeliness as a straight-up order. So give it 7 days, give or take.

8. KSBOOM macrumors newbie

Based on my experiences with Applecare,I think you probably would be eligible for a replacement, And yes, I think you should wait till Q1 2010. Your machine sounds like a lemon and will probably have another hardware failure soon enough.

If you can manage living with a malfunctioning machine till Q1 2010 you'll probably get the latest and the greatest ( Quad core? ) Macbook Pro (equivalent to the model you purchased ) as a replacement instead of an EOL C2D machine.

But make sure you make your case for a replacement firmly but in a clear and polite manner when you speak to the person who will be in charge of your replacement. Sometimes they try to put off a replacement until another failure occurs. Which is not the best way to handle a customer but they're doing their job from the company's perspective I guess.

Although you may come across a customer rep who will agree right away to your replacement request. Depends on the luck of the draw and who get assigned to your case.
    Best of luck

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just make sure it can all be taken care of within Applecare's effective date.

10. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

If they are nice they will give you a brand new one but they certainly do not have to as the component that failed was not the same one all 3 times.
    If you call them DO NOT demand a new computer, just be affirmative about wanting a brand new one but do not get angry or rude.

11. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

is it three times, same component or three major repairs?