Am I eligible for a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ermir4444, Nov 24, 2010.

1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

I had my MacBook Pro 13" 3 times repaired for display issues.

First time the screen had a weird white aura right in the middle of the screen under white background. The Genius guy said it was a physical damage but they will make a one time exception and the changed the whole top case.

When i got back my computer i realized they had installed a used top case with one dead pixel on the screen. So i took it back and they replaced the top case again this time around with a brand spanking new one which seemed fine.

A couple of months later i noticed a white blotch on the left bottom corner of my screen under white background. I took it to Apple and they changed the top lid again. This was the 3rd time they replaced the top case.

I just wanted to know am i eligible for a replacement since the computer was repaired 3 times for the same problem? And if I am how do i claim it?

2. spmiz12 macrumors regular

I personally would talk to a supervisior; that is if this unit is still under the first year warranty or Applecare....... I would explain that this is your bloodline ( ok, drama now ) and how you make your money; you get the picture..... I bet they will make it right

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. They just replaced the display assy 3 times. You are only (unofficially) eligible after 3 different major repairs (ie. display assy, logic board, topcase...)

4. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but when it comes to replacement units does it matter how old the original machine is? My 2007 SR MPB has had 8+ major repairs done... had I known earlier that only 3 were required for a replacement unit, I would have brought it up to the attention of the Genius Bar sooner. My machine was covered under AppleCare, but no longer.

I'm planning to take mine in next week to replace a failed graphics card- yet again.

5. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I had my 2006 MB replaced because of multiple logic board failures in 2010 with a new 13" MBP(1 year after apple care warranty had expired).
    Just be polite and try to get a supervisor, hopefully everything is documented correctly and if you insist i'm sure something will come of it.

However if you did not purchase the Apple-Care warranty then I would say you may not be able to get a replacement.

6. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I did purchase the extended AppleCare warranty (and boy was it a good thing I did). Just curious- were you able to choose/negotiate which replacement model type (e.g. 13" vs. 15", MBA vs. MBP)?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They will try to match/give you an equivalent. In your case, you have a 15-inch MacBook Pro so they will give you a 15-inch with hardware matching/in-line with you current machine. Don't expect to get the top-spec MacBook Pro if you have the low-spec one, that rarely, if ever happens.

8. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I wasn't planning to- if anything, I was hoping to downgrade to maybe an 11" MBA (which I was planning to purchase anyways before I heard about this replacement possibility). But beggars can't be choosy, I'll take anything I can get!

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

They should take care of you. With that said, don't listen to the people in the Genius Bar if they tell you blah blah blah you voided your warranty and we can't replace that as they sometimes feed you a load of crap. Call Apple directly; they take VERY good care of their customers and is one of the reasons I like and buy their products even though they cost a little more.