Am I eligible for iphone 4??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xhale1, Jun 9, 2010.

1. xhale1 macrumors newbie

I have bought every iphone since the original and I bought the 3gs last July. When I *639# att&t it says that an upgrade will be available on 3/2/2011. Does that seem right? I thought I could buy the iphone 4 for $200

2. microcolt macrumors regular

Check with your local AT&T store. If you bought an iPhone every year since they came out on or near the release date then you should be eligible, unless you renewed your contract somehow earlier.

3. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

no you are not eligible untill 3/2/11.

for iPhone 4 you can early upgrade for the $200/300 price if you contract ends in 2010. so if you bought a 3gs on a two year contra t then you are not eligible. the only reason you would been eligible to get a 3gs if you bought the 3g 1 year earlier is becuase of the complaints that caused att to change their policy. they premptively did it this year but only for people that bought the 3g near the end of the cycle.

they are a discount upgrade if you contract ends in the first half of 2011, you get the iphone for retail price +$200. the normal no contract price is retail +$400 so it is still a discount but not as big.

so you choice is to deal with it and wait for iphone 5 or pay $400 for a 16gb.

sorry for you luck, but im the same boat.

kindof sucks.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope u can still get it for $400 at least. I'm in the same boat and AT&T is telling me I can only pay full price.
    In november I get the early upgrade and February full subsidy.

5. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Same here me and the wife have to pay $400 for our new iPhones, but if you can make $200 off your old one you should be back down to the $200 price point well that's how I'm pitching it to the wife

6. JPG54 macrumors member

Not neccessarily. I upgraded from the Iphone 2G to the 3Gs last summer and AT&T says I am now eligible for the iPhone 4 upgrade at the discounted prices.

7. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

well thats the offcail att rule. i got a 3gs at launch last year and i am elilgible also so i think there is a rule related to cost of plan or maybe something to do with having a corporate account. but im not sure.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This forum is not your phone support line. Call AT&T, don't waste space with this crap.

9. JPG54 macrumors member

**** off!

10. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I bought a iPhone 3G back in August of 2008, then when the 3GS came out a year later I decided to sell my 3G and get a 3GS. I believe I had to pay $500 for the 32GB 3GS and start a new 2 year contract. When I did the *639# to AT&T the message came back and said...

"As a valued customer we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

So does that mean I could get a 32GB iPhone 4 for $299? (plus the $18 and a new 2 year contract)

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, it quite plainly says that. Again, this is not an AT&T support forum. Call AT&T yourself, or learn how to comprehend what a text message means.

12. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Actually I posted that just to piss you off. :D

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

you get a text saying your upgrade is on 2 feb 2011

hmmmm let me think your upgrade is 2 feb 2011 what's so difficult? ;)

14. xhale1 thread starter macrumors newbie

the difficult part is that Jobs said we get an upgrade for the listed prices if you bought an iphone 3gs within a couple months of it being released...

15. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

First of all TuffLuffJimmy is an idioy becuase if this forum isn't a supoort line then almost all of post would be missing. the vast majority of the threads are "ATT is doing this, Why?" or "my iphone has ... happeneing, help!"

some mod needs to ban Tuffy for being a jerk.
    that being said, onto the topic at hand.

If you remember last year no ability to upgrade from the 3g to tye 3gs was offered and there was huge uproar to point that ATT changed their policy to allowing any with a plan over $100 dollars that purchased in first 3 months upgrade for new customer upgrade price.

well, i think they did this little upgrade scheme to keep the uproar down. im sure their have been complaints but nowhere near as many as last year becuase people are confused.

i think come the 24th, many a 3gs owner is going to get a $200 extra charge surprise and be very upset.

the upgrade plan leaves 3gs owns out in the cold, which is unfortunant since alot of 3g owners upgraded last year.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I feel the quote speaks for itself. :D