Am I excited, or what!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by toddburch, Sep 10, 2007.

1. toddburch macrumors 6502a

My son, a junior in high school, turning 17 next month, is taking Computer Science this year. Friday while I was out of town, he text-messaged me to tell me he got a 95 on his first test, and that he had just written his first Java program ("howdy world" - we're in Texas ;) )

They're using JCreator under Windows, and pretty much all he had to do was change some text and click BUILD and then RUN, but hey - it's an easy entre without all the frustration of classpaths and running in the command line that could very easily turn off a teenager.

I have to remember to not overwhelm him with concepts that haven't been introduced to him yet. But, he knows I'm excited too, so he humors me some.

Todd - one proud dad! (Sorry, had to share!)

2. jedirunner macrumors member

Sweet!

That's awesome Todd!

I've got an 11-year-old son who has shown some interest in programming, but hasn't taken a class yet. He got all excited the first night I got visual studio setup and taught him how to write for() loops in C#. heh. He spent all night writing new loops to insult people repeatedly. ( /sigh ).

I'm excited to see him get into middle/high school where he can actually take a class and do something somewhat more useful with those loops. :) Until then, I'll keep showing him stuff from time to time.

Again, very sweet, and congrats to the son for his nice exam performance.

Kevin