Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Am I expecting too much of my laptop if it has a little dent and a few scractches? Am I worrying about cosmetics way too much and not performance? I have a noticeable dent and some scratches on the bottom and one on the lid which has a litte black mark. And a brown pixel on the screen. Should I just leave it be?

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ummm... yes.
Get used to your new products looking less than new after a while, or budget a shedload of money for buying a new one every year. (Or don't use them, of course) ;)

I like the way you think :D I'm the type that just needs some re-assurance every once and a while.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
You could always get a sleeve for it, or a hard case, otherwise due to normal use, it'll get that worn-in look. Here's a cool hard case for it:
http://www.speckproducts.com/for-macbook13.html

That way you'd be less likely to mess it up. I've had a clear case on my Nano from the moment I got it, and it's absolutely flawless still. It's just too good looking for me to mess up!

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Am I expecting too much of my laptop if it has a little dent and a few scractches? Am I worrying about cosmetics way too much and not performance? I have a noticeable dent and some scratches on the bottom and one on the lid which has a litte black mark. And a brown pixel on the screen. Should I just leave it be?

My equipment stays in mint condition, but I make a conscious effort to keep it that way. I am not suggesting everyone else should. I am pointing out, with a little care, it can be done. So the question is, if you did get it repaired, would it eventually look the same regardless? If you would like another shot at it, take it in and get a quote to repair the dents. The scratches on brushed aluminum can be removed with some very fine emory. Experiment/practice on something else to get the touch down. You will also need a small amount of "chem treat" to seal the worked area against aluminum oxidation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.