Am I getting consistent graphics performance from 27" iMac? Please advise.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GoodtobetheKing, May 15, 2013.

1. GoodtobetheKing macrumors member

Early last month, I dove in and bought a 27" iMac with a 1TB Fusion Drive, GeForce GTX 680MX, and 8GB of Ram. I also installed Windows 8 through bootcamp, which I'm still not sold on. I still have enough time that I can send it back if I want and get Windows 7 (which I may end up doing).

I was pretty leery of how well Windows 8 performs regarding games. Frankly, I'm only using Windows for games as it is and I wanted to make sure I made the right choice regarding W7 or W8. So I ran a number of benchmarking tests to make sure I was getting good solid performance. My results are in the picture I've attached to this post. [​IMG]

Additionally, I ran a benchmark through 3DMark and here are my results:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/655872

Honestly, I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate at all. The only one I know is accurate is the Heaven Extreme Benchmark for Mac OS X 10.8.3 because of this benchmark from Barefeats.

http://barefeats.com/gpu680v.html

So here's where I need advice:
    1) Are these numbers consistent with others results?
    2) What can I do to improve performance on both ends?
    3) Should I send Windows 8 back and get Windows 7?

Thank you in advance for the help and I apologize if this kind of thing has already been established. :D

2. GoodtobetheKing thread starter macrumors member

3. librarian macrumors regular

Heaven benchmarks comparison is pretty much useless, i don't think OSX version even support tessellation correctly at the moment.
    Check the score difference: on basic you have simple shaders and effects wich are probably downgraded on OSX. Windows scores are better.
    Extreme version is tessellation cranked up, wich means 4X more polygons plush insane level of antialias samples on all those extra triangles. While on OSX you're probably sitting on the same level of detail of the Basic scene, with no tessellation. Yet it runs dog slow.
    A benchmark with same settings as Extreme for OSX (wich means tessellation off) should be around 1400 points, and is more consistent with previous results.

Windows result are pretty much accurate, and you can easily boost performance with some light overclocking. Linux performance should be very similar, if you use production 3d software.
    while OSX 3d situation is just a sinking boat.

4. buppin macrumors newbie

Hi, Im using almost the same spec as you are but i cant find any working drivers for the GeForce GTX. I have tried downloading it from nVidia but they wont work. Any one got a clue why or what i could do? (using 64-bit win 7)