Am I getting enough memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by divedude, Mar 4, 2008.

1. divedude macrumors member

divedude

I am getting a new mac pro, 8 core 2.8 and ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB video card. I am going to order enough aftermarket memory to fill 8 slots with 1 GB cards. My primary use will be editing HD video with Final Cut Studio 2. I have been using a new iMac 2.8 with 4 GB memory without problem. Will I have enough memory for FC to work without problem on the 8 core Mac Pro?

I appreciate your thoughts :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sounds reasonable if not on the generous side. It may be worth your while upgrading the graphics card to the 8800 one as well.

3. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Have the same setup in my 1st Gen MP, 8x1GB. No problems with anything here, wicked fast! I can't imagine what those new octos are like, but I seriously think you will be fine for your needs.

4. khosna macrumors member

I just bought an additional 4GB ram 2X2 from OWC for about the same price as 4GB 4X1. i did it to give me the option of adding more memory later if need be. If you add 6 GB 6X1 you fill all your slots and, as you know, the only way to add more ram would be to replace the ram you have. It can really box you into a corner if you decide you need more ram down the road.

Also, I have 6GB and the same video card you have and was using iMovie for some editing -- it was extremely slow and crashed during capture. If you can please let me know how you do with final cut.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Anymore 8x1 isn't too much less than 4x2. You will *not* notice a speed difference based on numerous reports and objective tests. This would provide you with a means for expanding later if you need too.

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

8 Gigs is probably a little bit excessive, but whatever floats your boat. :)

7. divedude thread starter macrumors member

divedude

I think I may go for the 8800. That should help with the video.

8. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Agreed the speed difference isn't significant. As long as you are actively employing the top 2 primary slots AND the bottom 2 primary slots on your risers, you'll see the best performance.
    With that said, the price difference is what made me go with 8x1GB. Even aftermarket 2GB RAM modules have a bite in my wallet (but then again, so did buying a Mac Pro!)
    So unless you REALLY need to upgrade in the NEAR future, 8x1GB will work just fine. If you do need to upgrade many months from now (like me probably), RAM will be cheaper....the cost/benefit of upgrading at that point in time (to 8x2GB) will be a no-brainer for me. YMMV.

9. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

This coming from a Whiz-sta user... Just kidding. ;)

10. divedude thread starter macrumors member

divedude

You are right, future expansion would be more expensive, since I would need to replace what I have. After reading a lot of threads, it seems it is maybe a 15% increase by filling all slots. So this is why I am asking if 8 is enough?

11. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Great show.

Oh, yeah, and again, YES, it is enough. I have same RAM on slower MP and no lags. Chill, you'll be fine.