Am i getting the best performance here?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Graeme12, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Graeme12 macrumors newbie

Hi Im running bootcamp on my mac but I dont think im getting the most out of my RAM. When I check my system props in windows it states:

SYSTEM
    Windows xp
    home edition
    SP2

COMPUTER
    intel(R)Xeon(R) CPU
    E5620 @ 2.40GHz
    2.39 GHz, 1.86 GB RAM

however my system spec is

Lion
    Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores)
    6 GB (6 x 1 GB)
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    One 18x SuperDrive

So my question is why do I only get 1.86 GB of RAM in windows? is this just the way it is?

Thanks
    Graeme

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because 32bit windows cannot only access 4 gig, remove overhead from windows and what not, and you only get that much.

I'd go with 64bit windows 7, you'll be able to maximize the usage of your hardware.

Edit, for some reason 32bit windows xp only sees 2.25gig of ram even though you have 4gb. Then subtract over head and that leaves you with what you see.

3. simsaladimbamba

Do you have the 64-bit or 32-bit edition of Windows?
    Normally you should get at least 3.5 GB RAM in the 32-bit Windows version, though your use of six 1 GB sticks might limit you to less. Maybe use a 2 GB or a 4 GB module, or several?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The majority of windows xp usage is 32bit, couple that with the fact he's only seeing < 2gb its a safe assumption that is what he's running

5. simsaladimbamba

I know, but one has to make sure in these grave times of (insert insult to human race here). ;)

6. Graeme12 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks guys, hmm maybe the 64bit version is what I need... oh well im happy to at least know what is going on here now.

Cheers!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

64bit yes, windows xp 64bit no. At this point, I'd recommend going with x64 windows 7

8. Graeme12 thread starter macrumors newbie

download and upgrade

Can I download windows 7 and just install it with out having to re format my whole mac, I gave windows 32 GB when I boot-camped initially so should it just work?