Am I going deaf?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by John Jacob, Apr 2, 2009.

1. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I just tried the hearing test on this website: http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/

The concept is that as our ears age, we lose the ability to hear higher frequencies. On the hearing test, I could only hear up to 10 KHz, even using the maximum volume setting on my Macbook. But on the home page, I see this information:
    • 8khz - Everyone
    • 10khz - 60 & Younger
    • 12khz - 50 & Younger
    • 14khz - 49 & Younger
    • 15khz - 39 & Younger
    • 16khz - 30 & Younger
    • 17khz - 24 & Younger
    But I am only 31, and I can't even hear 12KHz. :eek: Am I going deaf? Should I go visit a doctor?

I don't generally listen to loud music, and I very rarely wear headphones. Advice needed.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

this test is only as accurate as the speakers / setup you're listening on.

i wouldn't trust this, but if you're worried it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I wouldn't put too much thought into that. If you are having trouble hearing, or are worried about it, by all means see a doctor.

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm going to agree with Drumjim85 and r.j.s.. Tis kind of tests usually aren't accurate, and if you are actually worried about your hearing, I would go see a doctor. They can help you more then people on the internet can.

Don

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I call BS.

Take a picture of your ear and post it here, we'll tell you if you're deaf or not. :D

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you have reason to believe you have difficulties hearing, speak to your doctor, who may the refer you to an ENT or audiologist for further testing.

If you were perfectly content with your hearing until this internet test, think nothing of it.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WHAT?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I wouldn't worry about that, since you speakers may vary what amount of noise can be carried. I used those for a while as a ring-tone and I was able to hear the 17kHz tones easily, despite being 38. But I AM hard of hearing.
    :)

8. John Jacob thread starter macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Thanks, everybody! That's a relief. :D I can still hear as well as I ever could, with no problems as such, so I guess I'll just go about life for now, and try not to worry about it. But taking this test did have me spooked for a bit.

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm already deaf.

Learn sign language, it's fab :)

And those of you who aren't already deaf, don't worry; your turn will come as you get older :cool:

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, I had to try it - using my iMac, an optical input into my Z-5500's, the volume at a comfortable level, using a digital setting on the speakers, and I could just barely make out the 15 kHz tone, but heard the 14 kHz tone great - and I'm 40.

I agree with the others - a single tone can't really be all that great an indicator of your hearing. Besides, this measures a frequency you can or can't hear, not whether you're losing your hearing in the useful (i.e. voice) frequency range.

If you're getting around day to day without any problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

11. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Can hear all the frequencies through my UMBPs speakers.

12. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If it's the nagging of your significant other you hardly hear, it's not your ears. :p

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably, I've been yelling at you all day, and you haven't even noticed.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well my cat heard them all…
    She pricked up her ears and started yowling at me.
    :eek: