Am I going to kill my 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeyyyyy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lukeyyyyy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

As of now Ill be looking to use my 3GS as a sat nav for work, on average ill be using a gps app for 3-5 hours per day, while using this my phone is going to be constantly on charge, I use my phone a lot and usually have to charge it up more than once a day,

With that amount of usage am I gonna fry the phone, or just kill the battery, I am looking for it to last me until the next generation iPhone is released, be it 9 or 12 months,

Thanks in advance

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You should be fine. I use the GPS on my 3GS anywhere from 2-4 hours a day at work (like you, plugged in the whole time), and I've never experienced a problem. With heavy use off the charger checking things like Twitter and doing a bit of web surfing, I normally have to stick it on the charger anyway by mid-afternoon. But when I'm in the work truck and using the GPS, it's always on the charger. Heck, lots of times I'm also streaming Pandora while using the GPS in my work truck...lol. So I give it some heavy work and it keeps going like a champ. :D

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

You'll be fine. I've been using my iPhone 3G for heavy GPS use for a little over 3 years now and it's still trucking along...

4. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha, cheers mate

Sure I read something about after 300 charges the battery only retains 80% of it's capacity, so going through 3 charges a day 5 days a week, but good to hear they can take this kind of work load,

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I actually checked mine not long ago to see how many charging cycles it had been through. I was nearing 500 cycles and the battery was still charging to 92% capacity. I was really impressed, to be honest!

Yep, you should be good to go. These phones have some tough guts! :D

6. lukeyyyyy thread starter macrumors member

7. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

You can get a new 3GS battery for $6.99 on eBay with tools. Instructions on iFixit. Made a huge difference on my 3GS.