Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
The in store upgrade 512GB SSD model should have had 16GB ?

Ram is cheap.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
The in store upgrade 512GB SSD model should have had 16GB ?

Ram is cheap.

16gb of Ram is £100

Soldering it on a logic board raises the price ALOT because faulty ram = new logic board. So i guess this is all priced in.

I have had more faulty Ram in my time than any other PC component in my life

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Of course 2 years ago people were saying you will never need more than 4 GB and 2GB runs great, people who upgrade to 8GB will never use it, blah blah blah...

No two years ago 4 gig was still the sweet spot for ram in a machine for personal use imo. 4 gigs is still enough these days for the normal net surfing, word processing and emails tasks. Once you go above 4gigs you are in work station territory.

I personally got 16gb, but I am using over 8gb most of the time right now, so it was an easy choice for me.

What are you doing to use over 8gigs most of the time? Video editing?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
My 2011 MBP came with 4 GB of RAM and I kept maxing it out when I was doing photo editing. I upgraded to 8 GB of RAM and it's fine. So in my opinion, 8 GB should be sufficient unless you're creating VMs. And in 3 years, I would be upgrading to a new machine where 16 GB probably will be standard.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Using activity monitor now..

Word for Mac up
CS5 up, with a bunch of stuff on it from yesterday.
Firefox, 6 Tabs, 1 CM backend for a website.
Safari, Youtube video playing some Torchlight2 beta vid
Inception.avi playing on VLC player

Active usage 1.93GB (update: 2.04GB now with Filezilla up)

Ram is getting cheaper and there was a spike in RAM need on the market around when Vista was around. It doesn't mean any of us need a lot of RAM. Most next-gen games can't eat 4GB of RAM. 8GB is more than enough RAM for moderate/high users for the next 5+ years.

Facebookers will be using 2GB RAM for the next half century.

Unless you're doing serious video editing, not making stupid youtube videos or holiday movies, then 8GB is more than enough.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
This is the only forum I've been on when people are recommending 8+ gigs of ram for average users.

If it wasn't un-upgradeable or a $1000 machine, Most wouldn't recommend it. (Well at least I wouldn't)
I recommend it because it's now or never, and when I'm dropping $2500 on something I don't want to regret trying to save 6-9% next year or the year after.

Honestly, is it going to effect me, what some random person I'll never meet gets? Nope.
I learned my buyers remorse lessons long ago.

Mark my words, half (and thats conservative) people will be posting threads or having the thoughts 2+ years from now. Why didn't just get the 16gb because now I can't upgrade it, and/or its hard to sell because few people want a 8GB laptop. By then 8GB is considered low end, 16GB is mainstream and 32GB is considered high end.

Now everyone pounce on this post that needs to justify their stance on being cheap, because in the back of their minds they are already having buyers remorse for doing so, or are just trolls.

Last edited:

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I just wish Apple would realize that upgrading to 16GB will probably be the most BTO option, and ship the base model with this addition to stores.

omgitswes

Apr 23, 2012
If it wasn't un-upgradeable or a $1000 machine, Most wouldn't recommend it. (Well at least I wouldn't)
I recommend it because it's now or never, and when I'm dropping $2500 on something I don't want to regret trying to save 6-9% next year or the year after.

Honestly, is it going to effect me, what some random person I'll never meet gets? Nope.
I learned my buyers remorse lessons long ago.

Mark my words, half (and thats conservative) people will be posting threads or having the thoughts 2+ years from now. Why didn't just get the 16gb because now I can't upgrade it, and/or its hard to sell because few people want a 8GB laptop. By then 8GB is considered low end, 16GB is mainstream and 32GB is considered high end.

Now everyone pounce on this post that needs to justify their stance on being cheap, because in the back of their minds they are already having buyers remorse for doing so, or are just trolls.

I mean I think my main rig is pretty future proof as it is and it only has 4 gigs. Also it's a desktop so yeah I can easily upgrade it whenever I want.

I haven't been here too long, but from what I see a lot of people on here buy new MBPs whenever there's a refresh, or close to it. So I don't see them keeping them for 5+ years or whenever 4 gigs won't be enough.

Richard Crisman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
New Mexico
Don't sweat it. Most of us who opted for 16GB are just being anal thinking of all the nightmare scenarios that will likely never happen. Yes, more RAM is always a good thing, but certainly 8GB is a very decent amount. All of my machines now have 8GB. I ordered 16GB mostly because of Boot Camp (will donate 4GB to Windows) and also to make more desirable for resale 2 years from now (if I keep it that long).

Truth is Macs generally have fantastic resale value. Take the $200 you would have spent on the upgrade and bank it. Keep up with MR and other Mac sites so you know when the next MBP upgrade is coming. Just before then sell while the market is peak. You'll probably recoup 70-75% of MSRP. Take that plus the $200 and upgrade to the new upgrade model (with new warranty!).

I often do this, and it makes owning Macs quite affordable. Much better than letting the value drop to near nothing over 4 years and have to shell out another full $2K all at once.

I make a killing on eBay! I wish I could get my hands on two dozens of these. I could buy a BMW Z with my take.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
so are you saying 8GB will suffice for you?

Yes, most CAD programs won't need that much, I run AutoCAD and ArchiCAD on my late 2008 mbp with 4 gb ram but it has an SSD which is really what made it stay alive.

Even 3Ds Max won't use more than 3 or 4 gb max, to be honest i feel that ram is least thing that makes noticeable difference, i have a 2011 mbp with 16 gb of ram and 90% of the time most of that sits unused.

I'd rather getting bigger SSD or Apple care with that $200+

For me I'll get the Apple care + USD 3 to SATA adapter and buy a very fast SSD to put my content on it and keep my internal storage for system files + virtual memory.

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
I cancelled my order and upgraded the RAM today.

I cancelled the Apple Care (which was sold to me despite the fact I'm a student and can get it for free!) So i used the money from that to upgrade the RAM. I'm happy now. No Buyer's remorse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.