Am I going to regret buying the aluminum version S2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by c_hart, Jul 24, 2017.

1. c_hart macrumors newbie

c_hart

My new watch hasn't even been delivered yet and I'm already having second thoughts about my purchase. I got in on the $298 sale but I'm wondering if I should have shelled out a little more money for the stainless steel version. I really couldn't justify spending that much more since I'm retired but I wonder if the aluminum will scratch and dent a lot easier. I purchased it mostly for health tracking and for notifications. I did order a case for it on Amazon thinking that might protect it, but I'm not sure how bad that is going to look. Also, are screen protectors recommended or useless? Guess I'm mostly looking for validation that I made a good decision on the cheaper model.

2. Hal~9000, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'm one to always have screen protectors + case on my phone since it can be dropped/damaged.

That being said... an Apple Watch is attached directly to ones wrist and much easier to keep from being damaged (unless you're the clumsy type). I've had my S1 aluminum for 6 months without any issues or even so much as a close call.

I say save your money, enjoy the aluminum, and simply be mindful of your surroundings as you walk around :)

3. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Well, the Stainless Steel has the unscratchable Sapphire screen, and the steel looks and feels much more premium. It’s heavier too.

For me, the upgrade to the harder screen was worth it. My Aluminum with the Ion-X Glass got hairline scratches with normal use. My SS watch screen seems invincible to scratching. I like that.

However, from a practical standpoint, the Aluminum makes more sense. These aren’t watches we’ll be wearing for a lifetime, so I’d just give this one a go.

4. satchmo macrumors 68000

At the Apple store, the SS display models always look scratched up. I'm not referring to the sapphire glass but the stainless steel casing. I know it can be buffed out, but is the steel that soft that it picks up micro scratches easily?

Meanwhile the aluminum models all look new and pristine.

5. Relentless Power, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The 316L stainless is a very soft metal that does scratch relatively easily, but the scratches usually blend in with the stainless where they are not completely noticeable. But with the stainless model, as already mentioned, the scratches can easily be removed with a polishing cloth within seconds and restored to a new looking Watch casing.

With the 7000 Series aluminum Watch, its fairly durable against scratches. But the caveat to the aluminum model, is if it scratches (Which it can) it's permanent. Plus, Depending on the impact, the aluminum model also is prone to "Chipping", which is usually prevalent around the display area.

From my experiences, Once the aluminum becomes scratched, it's rather noticeable. But in the end, it's a Watch and it's meant to be worn and signs of physical wear is expected, and that applies to both the stainless and aluminum model. Having scratches is something most should understand that comes with the territory of owning a Watch.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I wore my aluminum to work for over a year and quite a few times I would bang it into something and look down expecting to see some major damage only to find nothing at all.

7. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

-Keep the Sport Watch
    -Add an Apple Care Plus package
    -Do not worry
    -Profit

8. c_hart thread starter macrumors newbie

c_hart

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I worry too much. I do plan on buying Apple Care for it, although I don't think it will cover scratches to the screen or case. As you say, it's just a watch. The watch I wear now has scratches and cost just as much as the Apple Watch and I don't worry about it. I'm thinking "Apple" = "Worry it will not look like new forever"! I need to get over it and enjoy it for what it is.

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I've had two aluminum models: an original black aluminum and a gold Series 2. My 14-year-old son has the original now, and both look like new. I wouldn't waste money on a SS model.

10. Dave245 macrumors 601

My Stainless Steel first gen has scratches on it however the screen is in perfect condition as the sapphire glass has protected it. I've been admiring the Ceramic edition for a while now but with the Series 3 just around the corner in September I will hold off and see what Apple announce. Personally im hoping they will announce a Series 3 in the Ceramic casing again! The Ceramic is said to be scratch proof which would be great for me :)

I wouldn't worry about your order just enjoy it :) all the Apple Watches are great the materials are personal preference. The Apple Watch is great, I wear mine every day and it's got to the point now where it feels weird without it on.

11. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

My original series aluminum Apple Watch sport hit the 2 year mark last week, and it still looks new. The display is flawless. The only scratch i can find n the body is a tiny one on the power/dock button that is thinner than a hair. I don't baby it, and this watch has taken some hard knocks into tables, walls, etc. For some of those knocks I was amazed it didn't sustain any damage.

The aluminum sport case is tough. My only regret in not buying a stainless steel case is that I like the look... but only slightly more. I think the Sport (gray and aluminum) are really nice looking. The Sport is also no-maintenance. Stainless Steel will scratch over time. If you trade up to the SS model, you will either have to be okay with the patina of scratches that will form or buff them out from time to time. Not high maintenance, but maintenance the aluminum case doesn't require. That said I might go with the SS model for my next Apple Watch. I love the way they look, but I don't know if I like the SS enough to make the extra cost worth it to me. I guess it will depend on what my budget is at the time. I have no regrets about getting the Sport, and I'm in no hurry to upgrade to a newer model.

Sean

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Received a SS for a gift and in turn gifted it to a family member. After a year the screen is perfect however the SS case shows numerous scratches. They wear it daily. No screen protector.
    I have a Nike version space grey and us it as my daily. Work, travel, workouts, etc. I do use a screen protector. It still looks like new after a few months.

I was originally concerned over case damage potential but it has held up well.