Am I gonna have to turn off my iPhone when...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hsleiman, Jun 23, 2009.

1. hsleiman macrumors regular

I'm on ichat on my mac?!?!?!?! This is so annoying getting push messages to my iPhone and while im signed into AIM on my mac. Anyway for my iPhone not to get the messages while I'm on ichat?

2. The General macrumors 601

Just sign off from AIM on your iPhone when you get to a computer.

Or have separate screennames, one for your computer and one for your iPhone.

3. nabechu macrumors 6502

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you have unlimited text, enable IM forwarding in your AIM settings and it's just like using push.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ding ding ding.

6. hsleiman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks that's what I'll do. I didn't even realize there was a sign off button till I looked. lol

7. ASN21 macrumors member

All I can say is WOW.....lmao

8. hsleiman thread starter macrumors regular

Haha come on, who goes looking for a sign off button on a regular basis? Before push there was never a reason to hit that button.

9. Mengels7 macrumors regular

I'm at work now on a Windows laptop. When AIM is set to away, messages push to my iPhone. When my status is online though, messages do not get pushed. Is this not the case with iChat? I guess I was going to find that out the hard way tonight if so.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

There should be some sort of option to disable notifications if you're signed in from another device anyway. Signing out is hardly a real solution, because then you have to sign back in which is more than a minor inconvenience on a mobile device. For example, should you be expected to sign out of Facebook app because someone happens to start chatting with you while you're on your desktop? I think not...

11. Mengels7 macrumors regular

AIM does this automatically. It sounds like iChat does not. Not sure if that's something AIM needs to reconfigure their servers to look for, or something Apple needs to add, that they likely won't.

12. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

It's actually a problem with the AIM iPhone app.

When I sign onto AIM from the iPhone, it does not tell me I'm signed on in two places.

If I sign on via IM+ on the iPhone, however, iChat immediately recognizes that I'm signed on in two places.

So it's not iChat, it's AIM for iPhone.

13. The General macrumors 601

The easiest way to do it is to just send "1" to the aolsystemmsg when you sign on to your computer.

14. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Actually when I'm signed on with iChat, I don't have the issue the OP did. Works perfectly for me. Sorry.

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

+1

or... just... sign out on your iPhone

16. spacedout17 macrumors member

However those are not practical.

17. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Actually you are wrong, this is a behavior of AIM, iChat has no control over it. I have personal expertise in writing for the AIM protocol. However, AIM does have some server side controls. When you log on from multiple locations it announces that fact and provides you a menu number you can send back to get more info on how to configure it.

18. critic81 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that if all locations are signed on and are "available" then the IM you receive will go out to all locations. If any location is "away" or "busy" then the IM will be received only by "available" locations. If all locations are "away" or "busy" then the IM will be received by all locations.

Hope that makes sense. Basically just set your iPhone to go to away immediately on exit of AIM or beejive and then when you sign online from your computer keep it as available and you should only receive IM's on your computer.