Am I harming the battery in any way?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jbjints, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jbjints macrumors newbie

What I've been doing so far is recharging my battery when I get home from work with the phone on. Am I harming the battery? I do not want to get stuck with a dead phone. Some of my days are 15 hours long and I'd hate to have my phone die on me midday and this is why I charge it every night.

Am I doing harm to the battery?

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Since the iPhone battery is a lithium battery, it is loosely recommended that you don't let the phone sit on the charger at 100% charge. It can hurt the battery but won't by much. You wouldn't notice anything in the, at most, few years you will probably have the phone.

David

4. canuelo macrumors member

canuelo

A lithium battery and it's life depends from the first 4 to 8 charges. It should be fully charged 4 to 8 times and each time let it drain down until the phone almost goes off. This will ensure a good battery life and it will last a long time. Many people are constantly charging and then when it is at 80% charging again this is not good practice.

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

From the Wikipedia entry on lithium ion batteries:

Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life

* Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%
    * Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[25]
    * Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
    * Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
    * Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [43] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
    * Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[25]
    * When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[44] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

And, for more advice than anyone likely needs, in the iPhone forum here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

False and false.

There is an excellent post about battery life and maintenance here in this forum. Very informative. Give it a look.