Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I am running iOS 7 beta, but I am not a developer. Despite this fact, I consider myself a power user, and I'm sure there are many others in this position. I am reporting bugs as I notice them to Apple.

Does my 'Diagnostic and usage' information contribute anything to help towards the final product ie is the information actually useful?

Ps I should point out that I have paid the £60 fee to Apple therefore I am using the beta legally.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I am running iOS 7 beta, but I am not a developer. Despite this fact, I consider myself a power user, and I'm sure there are many others in this position. I am reporting bugs as I notice them to Apple.

Does my 'Diagnostic and usage' information contribute anything to help towards the final product ie is the information actually useful?

Ps I should point out that I have paid the £60 fee to Apple therefore I am using the beta legally.

Yes, you are.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you have paid the fee and joined the developer program, can't you log in to the developer's site and submit bugs/feedback?

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Apple released it for developers to test their software on. Nothing more.

Nothing more? So by them using our usage and crash logs, and us submitting bugs won't count for anything is that what you are suggesting?

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Apple released it for developers to test their software on. Nothing more.

They also want bug reports submitted.

----------

Yes, you are helping. Make sure that you submit bugs through the Apple bug reporter. Make sure they are actual bugs, not complaints about how you dislike something.

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I've seen a lot of negative reaction towards non developers using the beta (granted many are not 'legal) and I was just wondering if those of us that are in a similar position to me who are using the beta were actually helping contribute towards a more 'finished' OS.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I've seen a lot of negative reaction towards non developers using the beta (granted many are not 'legal) and I was just wondering if those of us that are in a similar position to me who are using the beta were actually helping contribute towards a more 'finished' OS.

All of your bug reports are contributing overall to fixing the problems.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

I suspect Apple gets more "help" from those who actually file reports than from their automatic diagnostic system. File reports at https://bugreport.apple.com, you just need an Apple ID.

Here is an interesting article about those who just pay $99 to play with a beta.
http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/13/psa-if-youre-not-a-developer-dont-install-developer-betas-on/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.