Am I in the right? - MBP + Applecare = New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creator2456, Jul 24, 2011.

1. creator2456, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I have a 2009 17" Unibody MBP. I bought it from the refurb store and was the first time I had purchased anything that way. I've already had the screen replaced twice due to uneven back lighting/stuck pixels (dead center of screen) and a new HD put in. I was still having back lighting issues on the 3rd screen and was going to have a Genius look at it again. That is until the other day.

After using the MBP to watch a movie Thursday night I put it to sleep and set it aside. I go to use it Friday morning and there is no response. No breathing light, no superdrive sound, nothing. Only thing I could get it to do was the battery indicator lights.

I brought it in to the Apple store and they couldn't get it to power on at all. It is still there for that issue and once/if they get it up and running they will inspect the screen.

Am I justified in asking for some compensation for having the same issue (screen) several times and a couple other (power/HD) major issues?

2. eron macrumors 6502

3. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

If the MBP won't power on and it's covered under AppleCare then it needs to be repaired or replaced.

If they can't fix the power problem, then they need to replace it. That's what AppleCare is for. The Screen issues are irrelevant if there is no power at all.

I disagree with the popular assumption that multiple repairs entitle someone to a replacement machine. Nowhere in the warranty does it state that a replacement is guaranteed, or even implied unless it's truly necessary.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

after 3 repairs ur eligable for a replacement. so under that warrenty , request a replacement.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

After 3 of the same repairs. They don't have to, but they will. Did for me.

6. jasonbro macrumors regular

You guys have got to be looking over that he has a 2009.

He must have had it for a while. How long has it beens since they sold 2009 refurbs????

They arn't just going to give him a new one. They don't have any new/refurbed 2009's and at this point i doubt they'll upgrade him...... From the sounds of it i'd assume there was a significant amount of time between his problems occurring.

EDIT: Even with extended apple care, that doesn't get you a new laptop if the same thing breaks three times. It gets it fixed correctly sure, and you could argue you deserve your applecare extended due to the ongoing issues. But there's no way they give you a new one IMO.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2009 is irrelevant ... he sounds like a candidate to possibly get a brand new 2011 MBP

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

With all your issues, if the apple store doesn't give you a machine call AppleCare and explain the situation and they should. No computer should have to have that many replacements and a new machine is definitely deserved due to all the hassle you have dealt with because of the issues

9. jasonbro macrumors regular

I think you're crazy.

How do you get a brand new 2011 after you bought a refurb 2009????!!!!!!!!

If i buy an extended GM warranty for my 2009 truck and the same thing breaks 3x past the original warranty- but under the extended warranty, will they give me a brand new 2011 truck????????

Obviously not. But they will fix the problem with my 2009.

This is a NEW problem anyways. Are you saying the computer not starting up is due to a bad screen??

This is a new problem that will be covered by applecare, if applicable, but they won't give you a brand new 2011 macbook.

10. jasonbro macrumors regular

I overlooked it at first because the OP says "same issue". But it's clearly not the same issue.

Computer not starting up is not a screen problem.

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No.

You are justified in (politely) asking Apple to simply replace it.

12. jasonbro macrumors regular

and cmon. This is a 2009 refurb with 2 screen problems which were repaired and now it won't start. Which is a new problem.

I don't know when you got it but that's about 1 problem a year. on a refurb.

The people telling you you're due for a brand new 2011 are giving your hopes up. If it were me i'd ask for extended applecare coverage but would understand if i didn't get it.

Refurbs are refurbs for a reason. If they were every bit as good as new they'd cost the same as new. You didn't get that refurb discount for nothing.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple is not GM ... Apple replaces 2009 MBPs with brand new 2011 MBPs everyday ... if they cannot fix it or feel it is not worth doing more work on ... voila, a 2011 MBP is given.

14. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Sometimes it's more effective to just give a brand new replacement than to continue fixing what seems to be a problematic device. AppleCare is both a gamble for the buyer and Apple. Some people never get to use the benefits of AppleCare while others has had repairs worth more than the retail value of the laptop when it was new. Why not just give someone a new machine that costs $1200 instead of probably having to do $2000 worth in repairs.

15. jasonbro macrumors regular

Who says they can't fix it? This is the first time EVER it won't start, and he JUST brought it in for service and hasn't heard back.

Why do you say he's a 'candidate' for a brand new 2011 replacement?

16. jasonbro macrumors regular

The OP laid out his question like he has some ongoing problem. He doesn't. He wants a brand new 2011 mbp for nothing and wants the people in this forum to tell him he deserves it.

He has a BRAND NEW problem which NEVER happened before. If they can't fix it, and it's under warranty, then i'm sure they will replace it.

THAT'S NOT what he's asking. He's asking if he should insist on a brand new 2011 MBP EVEN IF THEY FIX IT, due to it being 'faulty' or something.

This is a new problem and if they fix it all you will get back is your computer, fixed, and you should be happy for that.

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

um
    If i had a 2008 macbook pro and the warranty was going to expire in a few months and apple could not fix the issue. They would upgrade me to a similar model at the time. You should just breathe read up on apple and take your finger of the cap locks button.

18. jasonbro macrumors regular

Maybe i should have capitalized this too????????\

and it's a 2009..........

19. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

2008 was not a point
    long as there is apple care they replace if they can not fix the issue.
    with in warranty of service.

and ughh...

20. jasonbro macrumors regular

uggghhh

read what you quoted man. ACTUALLY READ.

21. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i bought a 2009 17" mbp from my friend BNIB. I registered it with applecare in 2010. (i bought it off him cause he won it, didn't want it and sold it to me for dirt cheap)

anyways, it was a french keyboard so after talking with many reps, they eventually replaced it for free - which was something that shocked me since it was a $300 top case that i was willing to pay for. after that they didn't attach the screen properly and the hinge was scraping the side so they replaced the screen.

when they replaced the screen though, they put in on in an angle so i had to bring it back.

in april 2011 (just as my apple care was expiring), the magsafe charger wouldn't charge on occasions so they 1. replaced the magsafe charger 2. the magsafe port. (2 separate repairs)

on that second repair however they busted my dvd drive and backlit keyboard so when i brought it in that time, they replaced my machine with a 2011 MBP with thunderbolt and i7.

So yes, they replaced a 2009 c2d with a 2011 i7. So contrary to your statement, it is possible.

22. jasonbro macrumors regular

Geez guys. I never said ever it "wasn't possible". Actually i said:

"if they can't fix it they will replace it"

They didn't give you a new laptop to be nice guys. They gave you a new laptop because it was COST EFFECTIVE.

EDIT: The OP didn't say EVER "if they can't fix it". The OP gave the impression he would ask for a new MBP even if they fixed it because of its 'prior problematic history'. He doesn't even know if they can can fix because this is the FIRST time he's brought it in for this problem and he hasn't heard back.

23. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

sorry but your tone made you sound/come off as a total douche. no offence

24. jasonbro macrumors regular

I can understand that but people were totally misunderstanding this thread. People are suggesting this guy is entitled to a brand new 2011 MBP when he doesn't even know if they can fix the BRAND NEW problem that developed.

I was confused from the first post too. I'm not trying to come across as a dick, i just want people to re-read the OP because it's confusing.

The problem he currently has is BRAND NEW and UNRELATED to any previous problems. He brought it in and hasn't heard anything back.

To suggest, at this point, that he is in any way 'entitled' to a brand new MBP- which seems to be the OP's question- is nuts.

25. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

Wow, lots of responses.

I just reread my OP and it is a little confusing. Here is a timeline:

Nov. 09 - Purchase of Refurb
    about Jul. 10 IRC - 1st screen replacement
    May 11 - 2nd screen replacement & HD replacement
    Jul. 11 - 3rd screen showing issues / no power

Nowhere did I say that I was looking for a new MBP, although that would be nice. I'll be happy if they can fix it and not have to go back.

The reason I posted was to see if anyone could offer some first-hand advice directly to me (instead of me reading) about what I could justifiably hope/ask for in return for having to deal with so many major issues.

The computer is currently at the Apple store getting a full body scan. The genius said I should hear back by tomorrow what the diagnosis is.