Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
A while back I tried to jailbreak my device with Chimera 12.1.2 but never was successful. The Chimera app was installed on my device but could never get the new cydia replacement installed so I couldn’t get any tweaks. Pretty much given up on jailbreaking.

I “deleted” the Chimera app but I’m wondering if I still have to restore my device to clear the jailbreak (IF I am jailbroken)? I want to update my device to 12.4 but I don’t want to get stuck in a boot loop.

Anyone know?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A while back I tried to jailbreak my device with Chimera 12.1.2 but never was successful. The Chimera app was installed on my device but could never get the new cydia replacement installed so I couldn’t get any tweaks. Pretty much given up on jailbreaking.

I “deleted” the Chimera app but I’m wondering if I still have to restore my device to clear the jailbreak (IF I am jailbroken)? I want to update my device to 12.4 but I don’t want to get stuck in a boot loop.

Anyone know?
If you ran Chimera even once, even if you did not manage to get Cydia installed, then there has been a jailbreak.

While you removed the app you didn't get rid of the jailbreak. These apps move things around and just deleting the app itself does nothing.

So, yeah, restore as new if you want to be sure to remove the jailbreak.

I would do a DFU restore, but that's just an old habit I've picked up from seven years of jailbreaking.

Reactions: EM2013

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I would do a restore and not use any back up that was done while jailbroken.
If you ran Chimera even once, even if you did not manage to get Cydia installed, then there has been a jailbreak.

While you removed the app you didn't get rid of the jailbreak. These apps move things around and just deleting the app itself does nothing.

So, yeah, restore as new if you want to be sure to remove the jailbreak.

I would do a DFU restore, but that's just an old habit I've picked up from seven years of jailbreaking.
Just as I feared. Guess I’ll be spending some of my Sunday restoring my phone and watch.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.