Am I just blowing cash?????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BCS, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. BCS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2002
    #1
    Currently I'm working with a g4 MMD dual 1 gig. for graphic design projects. I've been waiting for the next best think in the mac pro line before upgrading, but just got an offer I think sounds pretty good. Dual G5, 2.0Ghz for $700.00... Research shows the machine selling for about $1300.00 so it seems like a good deal. but is it worth it in the long run. Should I just keep the cash and keep saving or take this G5 and be content for another couple years????? And is the G5 going to be much quicker then my G4 dual gig?? Any help would be appreciated.

    BCS
     
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #2
    Sounds like a good deal, HOWEVER:
    Unless you know the seller, it may also be a scam.
    If it is a Craigslist offer, and the seller is not in your local area, then walk away. ONLY deal on the basis of face to face pickup of the machine.
     
  3. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #3
    I say keep saving and then get yourself a refurb Mac Pro. I think it will last you longer and be better overall.
     
  4. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

    Agent Smith

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #4
    It's not a bad deal, but were I in your shoes, I'd keep saving. By the time October and the release of Leopard rolls around, you'll hopefully have enough to buy what you'd need. That, and most of the standard graphics apps you'd be using will run natively on the Intel chips, if they aren't already. Just my two cents. :)
     
  5. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #5
    CanadaRam is offering good advice. It is a good deal if the Mac actually exists and is what it is advertised to be.
     
  6. BCS thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2002
    #6
    That's funny,,,, It is a craigslist deal!!!! And he listed it as a mac pro G5 dual 2 gig. But the guy is local and even offered to drop it off and let me check it out before purchasing. Said his brother gave it to him and he only plugged it in to see if it worked and never used it since. I think by the sounds of it he may go for $500.00. Probably should just keep the money and wait for a good deal on a mac pro. But this G4 is getting pretty long in the tooth.

    BCS
     
  7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
  8. Fubar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    #8
    You could always buy it and then turn around and sell it for what it is actually worth thereby making you some money whilst waiting for a new Mac Pro:cool:
     
  9. ob81 macrumors 65816

    ob81

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #9
    I wouldn't even consider getting a none intel based Mac at this point.
    Save for the Mac Pro m8.
     
  10. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

    CRAZYBUBBA

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto/Houston
    #10
    Its a great offer, listen to canadaram and go about it intelligently.

     
  11. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    #11
    A very good point brought up by ob81 is that it isn't an intel mac. The last 2 generations of macs have been intel, the core duo and core 2 duo. that being said, most apps out there now are universal, so it really doesn't matter.
    I recommend seeing and using the G5 and then decide what you want to do. I know a LOT of guys out there who are running G4 everything, and waiting for the next best thing, or they are totally content, as I am with mine.
     
  12. BCS thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2002
    #12
    Thanks for all the assistance.... I'm curious about the speed increase from my G4. Is it significant? If not then forget it, but if it's going to be a big difference over my G4 then I might just go for it. I'm waiting to hear back about the price. $500.00 I figure I can sell it when I'm ready to get the next mac pro and at least break even.

    BCS
     
  13. MacProFCP macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #13
    Mac Pro All The Way

    I sold my G5 in December and waited for an 8-Core to come out. You will notice a minor difference in speed between a G4 and G5 of similar speeds. I went from a dual 1.25 G4 to a dual 2.0 G5 and saw a huge jump of about 50%. However, that seems small compared to my 100% jump from my G5 to my Mac Pro. If I were you, I'd buy the G5 for no more than $500, as you'd be lucky to get a good year or so out of it before it's obsolete. However, I wouldn't spend $510, I'd rather save for a Mac Pro.
     
  14. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #14
    I agree with CanadaRam. Unless it's face to face don't do it. Also, make sure to test it well. It seems like the person selling it doesn't know too much about macs and just wants to cash in on their recent gift. For that, it's an excellent deal. G5's will perform wonderfully for a few years to come. Buy it, if you don't find it suitable to your needs then sell it online. I'm sure you'll lose little to no money. You'll probably make a profit.

    Hell, if I were in the situation I'd probably try to go through Leopard with the G5 and then upgrade when there is an amazing deal on a used Mac Pro. That's me though. I'd happily run Tiger on a 450 mhz cube.
     
  15. BCS thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2002
    #15
    Spoke to the guy just a minute ago. Said it was a dual 1.8 G5 and he upgraded it to a 2.0G dual and added 1.5 gig of ram to it. Will do $500.00. Does that upgrade sounds sketchy.....

    BCS
     

Share This Page