Am I just lucky or will I get screwed at the end???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SunDevil4Life, Jul 11, 2009.

1. SunDevil4Life macrumors newbie

This is long so bare with me.

First of all I order a MBP w/ appel care, printer, and ipod touch. The total was for like $2850. I checked my bank account and it show apple taking all that money and leaving me with a balance of $32.

Then yesterday I checked my account and it said I had $2400!!! It showed Apple had only charged me like $445!!! I called my bank and they said that it was accurate and to ask Apple if they took the funds. I called Apple and they told me they had received all the money and that everything I order had shipped. The lady was super nice and said maybe you just got lucky and got a free MPB (I doubt it, nothing is FREE in this life). Now there is also nothing pending in my account so what the hell is going on!!!

I don't want to complain but I just know this is too good to be true. What do you guys think???

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No way for us to know
    Anything we say is pure speculation and guesswork

It is something you will have to figure out between Apple and the bank

Some will tell you take the Mac and run, keep your mouth shut
    Others will tell you to reconcile and get it cleared up ASAP

In the end, do the right thing...

But as far as what is going on... you will have to go to the bank and Apple
    We don't know

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have called to Apple and to the bank so everything should be right. Don't worry, it's not your task to figure out has Apple took their money.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Apple may not have shipped the whole order, so they would have only taken the funds for what is being shipped.

If, you get everything you ordered, and the bank account is still not drawn down.... well, in my experience banks always find their mistakes. They pay lots of people to do internal audits. Shift the money to a high interest savings account or certificate - even if its locked in - at the same bank. Might as well get some benefit while you can. When they do come looking for their money, you will be good for it, and will have the interest to boot.

If, in a year, they still haven't come for the funds - well I say since you called both Apple and the bank you have done the minimum to keep the money with a clear conscience. Use at least part of it on a worthy cause to keep the good Karma cycle going.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I would say keep the money there just in case and wait. It is not a credit card so you are not going to be screwed for late payment fees or interest rates, so basically if they do not take the money then they don't get it. If they do, then make sure it is there so you are not hit with any overdraft fees and such.

Otherwise, enjoy the computer and maybe you'll get lucky.

In all likelihood in the next few days, maybe weeks at most, they will probably take the money.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, they should find out in a few days, or like an earlier posted said, they only shipped part of the order. I would definitely keep the money in the account.

7. SunDevil4Life thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I asked the girl from Apple, if they took the funds as my order got shipped, but she said no, that everything is charged at the same time. Plus all of my stuff has gotten shipped, I got the tracking numbers and should get them by Wednesday.

Ya I'm just going to leave the money there and as far as I know I only got 30 bucks in the account. I still find this whole situation weird, idk what else to do I'm trying to do the right thing. Has this ever happened to any of you guys? Not even from Apple but buying something and not taking the funds?

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

"Available" and "Actual" balances. That money will disapear from your account soon enough.

When I got my Mac Pro, Apple authorized my card for the full amount (Something like $3400). Then the charge for the display went through and the money from the computer itself was back in the account, but only for a day or two until they shipped the computer.

Apple will authorize your card for the full amount before placing the order. Then you are charge when the product is in "Shipped" statues.

9. Psychmike macrumors regular

It might be different in the US or with debit purchases but when I bought my unibody Macbook, iWorks, and printer in one order, my credit card was definitely charged in 2 different installments reflecting 2 different shipments.

The first charge was for about $200 (iWorks and printer) and several days later there was a charge for the $1100 refurbished Macbook.

Mike

10. paduck macrumors 6502

Apple isn't allowed to charge you for something they haven't shipped yet. That could be what is going on. Wait until you have to merchandise and then see what happens.

It would probably do your conscience good to tell Apple if you get the computer and the situation hasn't resolved itself in a week or two. What would you do to the local Mom & Pop store in a similar situation? The flip side is that they figure it out in six weeks and then take the money from your account - where does that leave you?

As mentioned above, it does sometimes take a few days for balances to clear on your account with electronic transactions.

11. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

This happened to me twice one for a dryer and a dinner from a fancy restaurant for free.

I hope you get it for free but it probably won't be unlikely. Good Luck!

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030