Am I just O.C.D?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Jul 16, 2010.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Had my MBP for a three days now. I've found a few things that I would like your opinion on.

First let me say that I have been using my new MBP for literally three days straight. I calibrated the battery right after I ran Software Update to get to 10.6.4 and update my copy of iWorks to the latest version. My temps are really good. Graphics switching works flawlessly. And no weird freezes!

I have the High-Res Glossy screen! Love it! Concerning "Dead Pixels", either I have a perfect screen or due to a combination of gloss and dense ppi, I can not see any dead pixels! Believe me, I've checked every square inch of my screen. But hell, it is hard to see any individual pixels on this high-res.

I've checked for light leak, and honestly the amount is so minimal, SOOO MINIMAL, that I think it is caused by the poor vertical viewing angle of TN panels, rather than a physical defect in the LCD panel itself. Not bothering me. I'm talking about along the bottom edge of the panel.

People have talked about "wobbling feet". My front left foot sits above my desk. So "technically" it is off. But the distance is barely the width of a sheet of copy paper. Realy REALLY tiny gap. Doesn't cause any noticeable wobbling, And with that small of a distance, it could just be a problem with my desk lol.

The hinge.

People have also expressed concern about the "tightness" of the hinge. If anything, this is the one area that concerns me. With the "Unibody" design, is it expecting too much (especially for a 15") that the screen holds its position at every possible angle when I tilt my laptop? The screen falls a little when my notebook is tilted to about 95 to 100 deg. Otherwise, the screen is nice and tight. I always use my laptop at 0 deg. Sometimes I will sit with my legs at an angle (45 to 50 deg) and the screen maintains its position. It is just when I pick up my MBP, and tilt it forward past 90 deg, does the screen fall a little.

From what I've read, this is common with uMBPs. Especially 15"s

How durable is the hinge anyway? Will it become stiff or loose over time?

Now let me talk about the unibody itself.

How durable is this thing? I feel like I have to literally cradle my MBP like a baby, otherwise I feel like I might bend it. Is this something I should be worrying about? I don't feel it flexing, but I'm just worried from some of the posts I've read.

Am I O.C.D?

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

You're not OCD at all, you paid good money for your machine, and I don't blame you for checking every aspect of it.

As far as durability, it's tougher than a baby, and can take a few knocks here and there like any ol' notebook. Always carry it with two hands though. ;)

Happy Mac-ing!

3. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks =)

Another thing. This battery is absolutely AMAZING! Coconut Battery is right on with stats. Shows my MBP is 1 Week old and has had two cycles. The first was my calibration and the second lasted me a good 6 hours easily. Just doing basic word processing and web browsing. All on Intel HD.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

You should check out iStat pro, its amazing too. It shows your cycles and lots of other stuff.

[​IMG]

5. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was the second application I installed ;)

I actually already had a list of apps to install right off the bat.

1. CoconutBattery
    2. iStat Pro
    3. Growl
    4. GrowlMail
    5. smcFanControl (I haven't actually used it as my MBP is managing heat extremely well)
    6. VLC Player
    7. gfxCardStatus

6. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

You Should Also Get:
    - Adium
    - Handbrake
    - Stuffit Expander

7. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Getting those right now =)
    Thanks

Also, did anything I mention in OP raise any "Call AppleCare" flags?

8. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

no, everything seems pretty normal besides the battery.

and the unibody is very sturdy, don’t be super rough on it but it isn’t going to be bending around freely. I understand the “I love my new baby so much, don’t want to hurt it :)” mentality.

9. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

10. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

These MBPs are made very solid and if you take good care of it I don't see any problems with it.