Am I just OLD - or is the thrill really gone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CrashX, Jun 18, 2017.

1. CrashX, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

CrashX macrumors regular

I was lucky enough to grow up with personal computers.

My first was a Timex Sinclair 1000. Oddly enough, it weighed less than the 15" 2013 rMBP I'm using right now.

Anyway, it was great fun - and I tricked the other kids at school that I could hack into the school and change everyone's grades. Programming in Basic wasn't very difficult ;)

Now, if it holds up, I may have bought my last computer. I even have it in a protective case should it get knocked around or dropped - the 2007 MBP that I replaced is still working, but it's dinged up pretty well.

The reason I think I'll never WISH to buy another computer is because either I've reached an age where I finally realize the world has gone mad and everything is BS and hype - or the world has actually gone mad and everything is BS and hype?

The REASON I bought a rMBP was to create retina graphics. It seemed logical that, to accomplish that, I'd need a laptop with a retina screen. And, to provide all of that retina goodness to the world wide web, well I'd have to create a ridiculous amount of "variants" of the same graphic in different resolutions with different filenames. From what I understand, Apple has @2 and @3, while Android has x1.5, x2, x3.

And that seemed like a rather huge nuisance - creating all of those variants and using the different naming conventions - what a headache, right?

But no. As it turns out, on the web where everything MUST be normalized, it turns out that you just save a retina-sized JPEG at 30% quality, which makes it the same file-size as a regular (non-retina) JPEG at 80%. So minus one HUGE headache ;) Using my fancy new rMBP, I can see all of my images in their beautiful perfect quality, then basically destroy them by reducing them to 30% quality - and... yep, it looks the same as the original pristine image, even on my fancy rMBP. But you blow up the non-retina 80% image? Blech...

WHY this happens I have no idea. But it was the concept that started me on the path to the end I believe I've now reached.

I will NEVER need a faster computer with higher resolution. I've completely maxed out.

I have a 42" Plasma Panasonic 1080p HDTV in my bedroom. I don't even WANT a 60+" TV to replace it. I've read that 60" is the smallest screen on which UHD can possibly be appreciated. But that's just what I've read, which could be a lie?

I enjoy console gaming. So I bought a PS4. Not the new Pro - just the PS4. I'm certain that whatever it's doing under the hood is incredible - but I could see a DRAMATIC difference between the PS2 and the PS3 - night and day. PS3 vs. the PS4 - the PS3 still sits next to my TV, because it's a better machine for handling my entertainment. I never see myself buying into UHD, ever.

Again, when I was much younger, I ran into the same problem with stereo vs. surround sound. I was a dumb kid, so I bought a surround sound system. I hated it. I don't think it would have MATTERED if I would have had it professionally installed by an audiophile and it was the most expensive 5.1 Speaker system the world had to offer - I think it's up to 7.1 now? Then on to 9 and 11 - who knows? In the case of "surround sound", my ears are highly sensitive, and the "ambient noise" produced to create the "surround" sound literally HURT MY EARS. I can hear the humming and I truly can't stand it. I get a headache from it.

So, ever since, I've stuck with a stereo - 2 speakers and a subwoofer. When my last one burned out, I paid MORE to replace it with a dedicated stereo deck.

And I apologize if it sounds like I'm going off on a tangent. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is -

"At what point do so-called 'advances' in technology just become USELESS or just BOGUS?"

Sadly, I think I've reached that point. When I first got my iPhone - WOW! I loved me some Angry Birds - that was just too cool.

The last phone I hope to ever buy now is my iPhone SE. I didn't want the larger phones. Hell, I'd probably still have my iPhone 4 if I hadn't busted it up. And "Hey Siri" is turned off - not because I'm worried about Apple listening to me 24/7, but because I can easily press a button if I wish to repeatedly tell Siri, "Set my alarm for 8AM" until it takes, usually on the 3rd repeat. Because Siri is crap. I know it's crap because I HATE texting and the built-in non-Siri voice-to-text program almost always works like a charm. It sure as hell doesn't force me to repeat the same thing 3 times before it finally "wakes up" and decides to start working ;)

So here's my gripe, condensed:

1.) My computer is already MUCH more capable than I'll ever need it to be. That may have been the case for a very long time now - but it's become abundantly clear now with my 2013 15" rMBP. It thankfully still has dedicated function keys and no "magic/Apple has COMPLETELY run out of ideas since Steve died" touch-bar.

2.) As I remarked earlier, high resolution displays are only helpful in ONE instance - it's much easier for my eyes to read TEXT at a higher resolution. As the 30% JPEG situation proves, no one's brain is able to even appreciate it in a photo. So we sure as hell can't see it at 24, 30, or 60fps. It's bullsh-t.

3.) I need to go back to backing up everything on DVDs. And NOT use any of Apple's file systems - because hey, they're about to introduce their iOS system to their computers. So I guess FAT or exFAT is it? I'll have to do some research. DVDs because hard drives fail and, given I grew up in the computer age, much of my life that I'd like to preserve into my old age is digital. DVDs seem to be the best - I even bought the archive quality ones for that reason.

So am I just getting old and grumpy? Or has technology become a running joke on all of us?

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback. I don't take things personally. I once believed Apple would always be full of wonder. I always thought video games would just become more and more immersive and awesome. And who wouldn't LOVE the latest and greatest tech?

Me. I no longer find any "wonder" in new tech. It's just "trickery" and I believe people are being conned.

I was lucky enough to grow up in an awesomely wondrous age where EVERYTHING was always expected to be changing, always for the better. And we could SEE these amazing things and immediately appreciate them. We didn't have to be told HOW it was cool - it just WAS freakin' COOL!

So maybe I've been spoiled my whole life - maybe I'm old - I don't know. But it seems the thrill is gone. And that's a MAJOR bummer - because wow, that was AWESOME. Seriously.

Thanks to anyone who has taken time to even read my little Sunday rant.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have been bored with upgrades for al to of years. for some reason I always upgrade my phone but my computers at home and work and my iPad only when I have too.

3. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. At least I know I'm not the only one.

I'm not catching your first sentence, though - how long?

I was hoping maybe Steve had left a few ideas behind - but EarPods, Apple Pencil, and the Touch Bar all seem to just be nails in the coffin. I think maybe he was such an egomaniacal jerk that he actually did leave the Bean Counter to eek out whatever profit he can, cementing his legacy.

It just seems too weird that innovation has been completely shut down at Apple. I really enjoyed being an excitable fanboy.

4. maxjohnson2, Jun 18, 2017

maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I think smartphone have reached a saturation point in term of 'practical performance' for consumers and have to evolve again, which it is, right now the next thing seems to be augmented reality and personal health monitoring. I'm excited for an Apple Watch that can monitor glucose level. I think battery and display is still improving too, and we're seeing transition to 3D NAND. Supply shortage is another potential issue going forward.

In term of resolution, I bought a Moto Z Play that have a midrange CPU and 1080p resolution, but it out perform the LG G6 that cost twice as much with a faster CPU and higher resolution. (LG and Samsung will always find away to make their phones lag and bloat no matter how fast their hardware are, so I'm happy to stick with the 'mid-range resolution' and pay less.) I think Apple CPU are so fast already, going forward I can't imagine slow down and lag to be an issue for iOS anymore, so Apple would have to get creative and start adding features because there are less reasons to upgrade for speed alone.

One thing I can assure you is if Steve is still alive, there would still be a headphone jack.

5. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat. I keep using the old stuff as long as they are still working and functional. I can see, we are consumers are 'pushed' to upgrade because the new apps require new OS, and the new OS require more and more resource hog; and this in the end to support lifecycle: new device every 1-2 year.

6. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

My memory isn't the best - but I'm fairly certain I removed the battery from its bay in my 2007 MBP and upgraded the RAM. I'd planned on passing it on, but it remains in my closet.

I'm hoping that my 2013 rMBP gives me 6 years - but I bought it knowing I'd never be able to upgrade anything. So I bought it "maxed out".

What's curious is that, when I pulled my 2007 to prepare it to be passed on, the battery had obviously "swollen". Given it wasn't glued inside the machine, there was no damage to the computer. I bought a new battery and she's right as rain.

Anyway - Apple now sells ticking time bombs - in a few years, if not earlier, I'm going to become more and more concerned with the battery inside this rMBP, knowing if it were to swell, it would destroy the computer.

Even so, I was excited to buy my rMBP. It's - by leaps and bounds - a MUCH better laptop than the 2007.

What concerns me is that I'll just grudgingly be forced to buy a replacement. Not because Apple has bloated the OS - my rMBP is still running El Capitan and I will NOT be upgrading the OS until Apple tosses us another "Snow Leopard", the OS that's still running on my 2007 -

But because I wake up one morning with the case split in two because of a failed battery destroying it from within.

With Steve at the helm, at least I was always hopeful. I was always envious of whatever had just been released, even if I could still get by with what I had.

But NOW I sadly just find myself mocking everything. I don't want a Touch Bar.

@maxjohnson2 pointed out - I'm not buying a cell phone without a headphone jack. If my work didn't require me to have an iPhone, I'd have just gone back to a flip phone already. And if it weren't for the SE, I likely would have - whatever silliness Apple is up to, at least give me a phone that slips into my pocket - with a headphone jack? I don't want your stupid AirPods.

And I really don't LIKE feeling this way. Steve Jobs didn't invent everything himself - he wasn't behind everything. So WHY has Tim imposed a moratorium on innovation? It's almost as if Steve gave him the job with an edict:

"Nothing new. Apple dies with me."

I really try not to be a paranoid crazy person - doesn't work for me most days ;)

But seriously - Microsoft is more innovative than Apple these days? How does that happen?

And I truly HATE Microsoft. But if Apple had created the Surface running OS X, we'd all be cheering. Instead, we get an iPad Pro seemingly forever crippled by iOS?

So we're expected to install the next bloatware upgrade to our phones, even though the new features are just for the tablets? WTF?

Grrrahrrr... I'm just falling out of love with Apple. But I suppose the edict must stand?

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I agree on surround sound at home! But then again I never had anything more than "home theatre in a box" types.

Apple and Microsoft currently seem to really be targeting "creatives." And since I'm not one, everything just looks like stagnant incremental updates. (Apple Pencil, surface studio, etc...)

Just slowly waiting with minor tweaks here and there until the next big breakthrough.

8. CrashX, Jun 18, 2017

CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Fwiw, I supposedly am "the creative type" - and they're definitely not targeting me.

As for the extremely creative types, I'd at least HOPE that they're not sketching on a computer screen. From what little I know of artists, I believe that texture is very important to their process. However wonderful the pens and tablets might be, you'd think they would be sketching old school because they're creating something tangible in the real world.

I have no clue what the next "breakthrough" might be - it seems Apple is working on a flying car to scoot around their UFO campus, who knows?

I guess I should just be happy that I was here when it all went down. From what (very little) I understand, Moore's Law is closing in hard and fast.

So I'm guessing that's part of the reason they're gluing everything together now. The battery pops and the computer is fried?

On that point, I have coconutBattery - but I have no idea how it might relate to me when it's time to take it in to have the battery replaced, before I have an exploded rMBP?

Again, I don't begrudge buying a new Mac. Formerly, it was an AWESOME prospect to get my hands on the "new, exciting awesomeness" - I'd secretly be wishing my working MBP would fail ;)

But now I'm like, "NO! Oh God please NO stupid touch bar. Seriously?" A friend of mine who knows I'm into Apple just asked me about getting a new MacBook Pro - and I seriously told him, "Do NOT get the one with the stupid touch bar. Get the cheaper one without it, or see if you can grab a solid refurb."

But... by the time I need a new one... UGH!!!!

Admittedly I'm just bored at the end of the weekend - but my recent hatred toward Apple is getting a bit out of hand...

9. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

I think that's true, though it depends at what distance you sit from your TV. But consider that UHD in addition to higher resolution also brings HDR, in fact I've heard people mentioning HDR as the main reason for getting UHD.

Regarding the excitement I agree, but in part because Apple no longer has its visionary reality distortion master chief Steve Jobs, AND Apple is purposefully neglecting the Mac so that iOS devices stand out, and so we don't really have much to get excited about in Mac land.

Regarding DVDs, are you nuts? Just get a few HDDs, make extra backups and that's it. You could do cloud storage too. DVDs take years to burn, are extremely noisy, low capacity and really annoying to retrieve data later. Just no, doesn't make any sense.

10. CrashX, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - to me, it's just even more desperately sad if Apple is neglecting us for the purpose of hoping the iOS devices stand out. Again, I'm a huge Apple fan - but I think Microsoft is punking them pretty hard with the Surface and Samsung is bearing down hard with the phones. I've been bending over for Apple for most of my adult life, but it was for more than bogus "branding". They're not the best anymore, except when it comes to combining their hardware WITH the software.

I tried and tried and failed over and over to get my Mom to use a computer. Then I got her an iPad - and she's a 14 year old girl again with that thing ;) That was Apple being awesome.

Then someone else bought her a Kindle - and nope. Then an Android smartphone. Nope. Which really sucked because now she thinks all smartphones are the devil. Ah well... In my defense, I didn't think she'd ever use ANY cell phone, else I'd have hooked her up with an iPhone. I tried to explain to her that it was just a mini iPad - but nope, the Android experience was too much. But do NOT try to get between her and her iPad.

Anyway - still hoping Apple comes out with ANYTHING that's even somewhat impressive that doesn't just strike me as being just... sad.

And thanks for the tip on the DVDs. I've been down this weekend, so I pulled out my old DVD burner - pulled up a ridiculous amount of old photos and music and whatnot, from back when 4.7GB was YUUUUGE ;)

I still think I'll use it to burn what I've created - as well as making certain I have backups - 4TB hard drives for $100 these days, but they can fail. These archival DVDs might take a bit of time to burn, but they'll survive me. And it's a kick of nostalgia, right? Plus burning stuff I created to DVD makes it seem like the crap I created is important enough with to bother doing that - which it totally is NOT ;)

If Apple is neglecting their computers to showcase their mobile devices - I'm fairly certain they're the largest richest company in the universe, yeah? Not attacking you at all - but the last thing Cook needs is any apologists to back him being the sh*tty little Bean Counter "rape your soul for profit" jerk-off that he's made quite clear that he is.

And maybe it's not all him - but I loved Apple SO MUCH - which I realize is messed up to quite the degree - but hey... I'd rather just throw all the blame on Timmy and hope someone - sooner than later - has the balls to take Apple away from him and give it to someone like Elon Musk - or basically anyone BUT him counting his precious little beans.

Thanks to all y'all for entertaining my idiocy. Gonna pack it in for the night ;)

11. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Like anything in life we all have different needs. I have spent a lot of time and money to create a home theater experience worthy of a movie theater. My goal was to enjoy the experience at home as much as I would in a theater.

You are correct when you say things are forever changing and new things keep coming out. For example when 3D was all the rage I bought a 3D capable tv. Used the 3D feature twice and never persued it again. Dolby Atmos is a new thing, but I have heard it and do not feel I currently need it. I'll wait to see if it catches on.

I don't feel all new tech is a gimmick or smoke and mirrors. For me UHD is a must have with a tv that is 75" or bigger, yet 4K is still relatively new, content is limited, so I have time to make informed choices.

For me I use whatever tech that makes my life easier. I remember back in 2004, I used to say someday I will have a phone that has gps built in, and I will be able to look things up on the internet. 12 years later it's no big deal.

Not everything sticks when something new comes out. For me it's about keeping an open mind. Tech is my friend, and btw I'm in my 50's.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the same thing can be said for any industry when it was in its infancy. radios, cars, TVs, etc all had a level of excitement that are no longer present.

I too was around at the beginning of the PC era and it was an awesome time to witness and be part of us. Computers are now a commodity, and there's less excitement. True there's still hobbyists doing things and loving it, but I think for the most part the industry has matured to a degree that the early excitement is no longer there.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Interesting thread.

A few points occur: Firstly, @CrashX - I'd recommend that you amend your thread title to include the words "of computers" after the word 'thrill' just to let your readers know what you are discussing.

Initially, I thought it was a "I am old and my palate for new experiences is jaded"...sort of thread.

Secondly, your life has coincided with one of the most dramatic, technologically transformative and thrilling periods to have lived through, ever; what is happened is nothing short of revolutionary, - of science, of society, of how we communicate - and you were along for the thrill of the ride.

Now, I'm an historian by profession (at least, I was, until I got distracted) and thus, am trained to take 'the long view'. I would argue that the development of computing and the internet is every bit as revolutionary and transformational as the development of the printing press and paper was in the 16th century in terms of its long term transformational effects on the world.

But, thirdly, that break neck pace of technical change cannot be sustained. Not in technological terms, for two reasons. Firstly, the limits of the technology may well be reached - it will take radically new inventions to lift it further. Secondly, economic imperatives - not scientific curiosity - may well dictate how the research & development for further - future - products are funded.

Motor car engines are not massively different from those patented in the 1880s, the just have been refined and improved; air transport hasn't dramatically altered - apart from refinements and tweaks - since jet engines replaced piston propelled engines in the late 50s and early to mid 60s. Likewise, there have been no major breakthroughs of a technological nature in space exploration - the Saturn V rocket, or the Soyuz used by the Russians date - in their original form - from the 1960s.

Relish and remember the thrill of discovery of what you have experienced.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Computers got boring because the industry consolidated. We have two processor companies, two graphics companies, and two major OS's and there's even less competition in phones.

15. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I agree with your analysis, but I'm not angry or bored or disappointed. I'm relieved.

I joke about being an upgrade junkie, but I honestly think I am one. I'm typing this on a TB MacBook Pro. It cost over £2,000. I had a perfectly good rMBP. But I really liked the new keyboard. And I wanted the touch bar. Which I use to change the volume and choose emojis. The only way I could justify the upgrade was to persuade myself I needed a 15-inch screen. There's some truth in that.

I've sworn a solemn oath that I'm not buying another Apple product for two years. None of my friends believe me. But I'm pretty committed to that goal.

I started with the Sinclair ZX-81 in, er, 1981. Then the Sinclair Spectrum: wow! Followed the the Sinclair QL. (Yup, I'm nothing if not brand loyal.) I discovered the Apple Mac at university in 1988 -- so easy to use. The thing that actually sold it to me was the laser printer. It was just like a page from a book. I'd never seen anything like it.

I've worked my way through almost every desktop and laptop Apple makes. And most of the iPhones. (I bought their printers and scanners, too.)

What makes me think I can stick to my no-more-upgrading vow is that I now have a set of equipment that, in the grand scheme of things, is mind-blowingly powerful. Vastly, vastly more so than I need. It's all beautiful. It all (mostly) just works. It all works together. It's a coherent set.

What more features could Apple possibly come up with? I think we reached peak iPhone a while ago. 3D-touch is cool and clever, but I rarely use it. (Isn't it pretty much obsolete -- already -- on the Apple Watch since OS 3?) And the touch bar is kinda pretty, but I lived without it before it was invented. Maybe I'm still learning to benefit from it.

The genius of Apple was to turn technology into fashion so that (some of us) became obsessed with having this season's model.

Luckily I've never been like this with cars. My car is seven years old. I still love it. Sure, newer cars have some cool features like automatic parking but, you know, I can kinda park myself, thanks.

I was the same with TVs. I'd had my old 40-inch flatscreen for nine years. But then I pointlessly upgraded to a 48-inch curved one. It's not at all obvious that it's better.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

@CrashX

I think you've placed an unrelastic expectation about technology on technology based on your initial experience of it.

It seems (to me) that you expect that it will always 'wow' you. When tech reaches a certain point where it's being refined instead of being made new again your expectation is not met.

So, you've decided that what's there now is enough for you.

Let's see what happens when the next tech change comes.

Speaking only for myself, I have always expected technology to meet my needs or wants. I'm still waiting for the day when it meets what's in my head. Hasn't gotten there yet.

But, I've never expected tech itself to provide me a 'wow' factor. The thrill for me is "what's next?" while getting creative about how I use what I currently have.

Of course, I've never been in the financial situation where I can satisfy every want whenever I felt like it so this has caused me to try and make do with what I do have.

I'm typing this message on a 2006 32-bit Snow Leopard only 17" MacBook Pro. It's the newest Mac I have. I own a 2003 17" PowerBook G4 and a 2006 PowerMac G5 Quad, both of which meet my needs and function and are a joy to use.

But I work in an industry where the only constant is change. Hence the Mac I use at work is a more modern Mac Pro.

I use what I want for what I need and want to use it for. I'm not expecting any of it to meet a psychological need beyond the thrill of actually using it.

Tech is a tool. When my needs change I will upgrade.

17. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

I am old, really old, yet I still live by that old maxim: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm getting old as well.

I'm becoming part of this "minimalist" movement - to essentially only have/own what you minimally need and use. (I'm getting rid of a lot of stuff in my various collections I don't use and sell them to someone who will use and enjoy them).

Companies are trying to get you to upgrade a perfectly good phone, watch, or computer every six months and it's more about getting your money than helping with your needs (the big corporations are telling you "what you need").

People are using these things as a "status symbol" as well (I know people who always get the latest iPhone when they are released).

You just gotta be careful not to change your needs to their wants... :eek:

http://www.theminimalists.com/minimalism

19. kazmac, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I get what you're saying, and to an extent, I agree.

I respect that you've essentially hit your Tech wall, but politely disagree about the Apple Pencil. To me, that was the first Apple tech in a very long while (since the original retina displays on the 2012 rMBPs) that truly made me think wow. And now that I am using one daily, that Wow factor has increased. Before last year I picked up a pencil maybe 3 or 4 times since my teens to try and draw. Since last week, it's been almost daily. I love it. To me, even just trying to draw again and knowing that I can do the hand written thing if I want, makes me very happy. Having an iPad that enhances my creativity rather than just being a consumption device is wonderful.

Where I've hit my tech wall is with phones. I rarely use all the bells and whistles on any iPhone I've owned included my iP7+ which I bought because there was no updated iPad Mini for me to use as a larger screen during my commutes. Going forward, I'll will go with the smallest iPhone that works for me and the smallest iPad Pro for my commutes/work usage. I do not want or need a new phone every year and would rather put that money into tech I do use.

I will say, I think the negative press and user comments thrown at Apple late last year have woken them up to an extent. We will see what happens, though I am very glad their hubris has been knocked off the throne and there is an urgency to give the people some of what they want.

Innovations going forward? Some do not apply to me. Couldn't give a fig about VR/AR, gaming or self driving cars. But keep pushing the designs and software for the Macs and iPads and make me want to use them? Yes, please. After 21 years as an Apple user, I came very close to throwing in the towel late last year, but did not. As long as Apple makes computers I want to use and are easy to learn to how to use, I'm good. Continue to do right by me when I need it, and even better.

I know what it is like to grow up with something and be enthused and then watch it decline rapidly. May you find something else that sparks your passions as much as their tech did.

20. Zenithal macrumors 68030

I've never let age be factored into anything in my life. I'm still genuinely excited by a lot of things. I've found that keeping positive and being energetic, bordering spontaneous, most of my life has allowed me to put away the stress I've gone through to the side. I enjoy the now and the future.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Seems like you've realized that the endless accumulation of superfluous junk isn't actually fulfilling. That doesn't make you old per se, but you probably are. :p

Anyway, enjoy your newfound liberation!

22. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Yet Intel dropped their motherboards. To me, discovering that, I was shocked. I always valued their motherboards. They always 'just worked'. And if they didn't, they had a warranty, and people that could help make it right.

I got burned on 'off-brand motherboards. It's just not the same. Throwing my money away on a company that's not likely to stand behind what they are peddling, and that uses flaky 'third world' parts and creepy drivers and software.

Sad...

My first computer was a Dec PDP-8i. Then a PDP-11/34. Old...

23. kuhnje, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

kuhnje macrumors newbie

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 64K Color Computer (CoCo) 2. Cassette recorders, 300 baud modems, early FDD kits, the whole nine yards, etc. I also had a CoCo3 (eventually 512K, running OS9). Other computers I had over the years were Amiga, plenty of PC’s, and of course Macs. I’ve used all the usual OS’s: MSDOS, Win, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OSX/MacOS, etc.

Anyway, I felt a lot like you described but I’ll tell you where I’m finding most enjoyment these days – going back to my roots. Yes, the TRS-80 CoCo. I still have them, but use just emulators more than the actual hardware, including emulators running on Raspberry Pi’s. I’ve been learning 6809 (CPU the CoCo ran on) assembly language. Going back to simplicity is a lot if fun, rewarding, and relaxing...

BTW: I also have a 2013 1TB SSD 15” rMBP, 2013 Mac Mini (maxed out, including 1TB SSS), 128GB iPad Air LTE, 64GB iPhone SE and I’m 100% perfectly content with them all even if they are a few years old now...

24. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for all of the replies.

Computers have been great fun - but I'm definitely in need of a new "drug". But hey - at least it hasn't been a horribly expensive habit. When I was a kid, lusting after the latest/greatest, I was in no position to actually buy any of it. And luckily that experience helped temper my impulses through the years.

So I feel pretty solid with my 2013 rMBP and my iPhone SE. Hopefully they'll last (at least) a good 10 years? If some other folks join "the cause", maybe we can spur local cottage industries for tending to our old hardware? I can't imagine walking into an Apple Store with a 10 year old rMBP and asking for a new battery. "Yeah, you morons glued it inside - I can't change it out. No, I don't want a new one - I don't CARE - check my post on MacRumors from 6 years ago, Genius."

We'll see how it pans out.

It was an exciting time, though. Makes me sad, though - still miss the days of pouring through my 500 pages of Computer Shopper "tech porn"...

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yep, my 2012 retina MBP is going strong; I'm hoping/planning to get quite a few more years out of it.