Am I just stupid, or...?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, May 15, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Okay, so the MBP has an expansion slot thing, does that have an SD card slot?

I dunno if the MB has one too, but is there an SD slot for it?

I might be dumb enough not to notice, but can anyone answer my somewhat n00b question?

If they don't, so to say, is it possible to see it in the future on a rumored updated one by Q3 08?

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

That's a standard PCMCIA card slot. There are zillions of cards that can go in there, I'd be super surprised if there weren't already several SD card readers that go into the PCMCIA slot. Just google or froogle.com for it and I'm sure you'll find it out there.

EDIT:

Here ya go. 18 bucks and you can add an SD card and other card reader to the PCMCIA slot of your MBP.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Premier...IA-Card-Adapter-Reader-SM-MS-MS-Pro-SD-MMC-xD

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Yea, that would be great if the MacBook Pro had a PCMCIA slot. But it doesn't, it has an ExpressCard34 slot. The new version of PCMCIA that offers higher throughput. I am sure the OP can still find a card reader that will fit in there, but that one that you linked will not.

To the OP, what do you need the SD card slot for? Connecting your digital camera? Why not link it directly via USB?

4. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Or he could get one of those little SD to USB stick adapters for $10ish.

5. websyndicate macrumors regular

Have you ever seen the computers with a million ports and buttons on them. Looks horrible. Yea apple could add all of these great slots & buttons but then we take away the sleek look. There is an adaptor for that slot your are talking about. My friend just brought one from amazon.com

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There are people who would disagree with that, majorly.

I want a 2-button mouse, dedicated volume keys, dedicated brightness keys, a wireless button, an SD slot, a new safari window button, a new email button, and a new finder button... just like any normal (non-mac) laptop has!

SD Card reader. I use it and it works fine. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/expressreader

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I doubt there are many on MR though. If Apple started adding needless crap on to their laptops I'd stop buying them.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Sounds like you could use Quicksilver.

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Honestly, with the volume and brightness most laptops are like Apple, they use the F1-F12 keys to perform those functions. Furthermore, unlike Apple, they have them do their software functions first. The SD Slot I don't personally need, and therefore it would be just another port on the system I wouldn't use. I have no problem just connecting the included USB cable that came with my system. It strikes me as being easier, and fewer steps. A dedicated wireless switch.... how is that useful? Buttons to launch Finder, Mail and Safari.... I'm sorry, maybe I am out of the loop... but name one laptop made in the past... 2 years? that actually has those.

I think you are in the minority on all of those except the SD Slot. So to say that there are people that would disagree, majorly, is correct in that there are people that would disagree, such as you, and you seem to disagree to a major degree.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most people would disagree with you.

Apple desktops do come with 2 button mouse. All Apple laptops comes with ability to right click, it's called 2 finger click. I find that more useful because the button is much larger. You can also plug in any mouse, and OSX recognizes new devices FASTER than windows (without the annoying childish toy sounds of windows).

There are dedicated volume keys on Macs.
    There are dedicated brightness keys on Macs.
    Not sure what you are talking about.

By the way, you think you want a wireless button because wireless function is hard to access in windows. No, wireless function button is not "normal" on pcs.

SD slot? useless for professionals photographers that need a high speed compact flash card reader.

New safari button? New email button? New finder button (what are you talking about?). Is there any reason that Command-N does not work for you?

13. holland macrumors newbie

Actually the wireless function is normal on pcs. All the laptops I've used since 2004 have a wireless function. HP Gateway and Medion all have the wireless function for years.

14. zaraswan macrumors newbie

I think what you need is a PC laptop. Good luck.