Am I lactose intolerant?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thesdx, Feb 26, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

For the past few years, I've been getting these horrible stomach aches a couple hours after eating lunch at school. I decided to try and figure out why, and eventually found that the school's milk was the problem. I stopped drinking their milk, and it got much better. However, I've started getting them again for no apparent reason. Some days I get one, others I don't. I don't think I'm allergic to dairy products, as I'm able to drink milk at home without any problems. I should probably talk to the school's nurse or cafeteria manager about the problem, but just figured I'd see if anyone here had any ideas of what's going on.

2. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I am not a doctor. What I am about to tell you is from experiences of people I have met, or who are close to me.

If you like milk, some supermarkets have lactose-free milk. My mother can't drink any milk. To her, milk, flours (bread, cakes, etc.), ham and sausages provoke her asthma. She was "set free" from ashtma the moment she started to avoid meals that contained these ingredients.

Perhaps, there is something that you eat that your stomach doesn't tolerate anymore. Perhaps taking something out from your diet, something that may be more difficult to digest will do good to your stomach if you leave it out.

Stomachs are very strong. However, if you are regularly experiencing stress or if you are emotionally living a difficult moment, it may be showing in your stomach.

I don't know if this helps a bit. I hope you feel better soon : ) !!!

P.S. I also consult once a year with an alternative medicine doctor.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i am also not a doctor, but i was having similar issues like this and thought i was having a lactose issue-- long story short, pains did not go away, trip to doctor and numerous tests later, i was diagnosed with gall stones-- had to have surgery and prior to that was on a very strict diet because there were a lot of different things affecting me-- after i had the gall bladder out, all was right with the world again

don't mean to freak you out, but get it checked out when you can!

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I am not a doctor either, but you could have Irritable Bowel Syndrome too. Avoiding milk-based products is a generally good principle for those with weak stomachs, but I.B.S. could still give you problems even with avoiding it.

I was lactose intolerant and grew out of it, but have relatively recently gotten I.B.S. (runs in my family). You should certainly consult a doctor, but we have found relief by increasing fiber intake through Benefiber products (and similar fiber supplements). I take 1 fiber tablet a day, like a vitamin, and poof - I.B.S. gone.

When you go to a doctor, you could suggest both Lactose intolerance and I.B.S. as possible problems and see what he/she thinks.

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Lots of schools just have horrible horrible food. It may not be lactose intolerance if you can drink milk at home.

6. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

When I drink milk, it's sort of a gamble as to whether or not I would get any side effects- sometimes it happens, other times it doesn't. That said, I try to not have any dairy when I'm out in public. Most of the time, I seem to be fine when drinking skim milk, but not so fine when drinking full-cream milk.

Maybe you're intolerant to a type of milk (like me). For example, your school's milk might be full-cream, and the milk you drink at home is different to that. At home, try to drink lactose-free milk (there are some really good ones that taste just like normal milk) or even soy milk (which tastes a lot different).

Also, what happens when you eat something like yoghurt or ice-cream made with milk? Do you get any stomach aches from that?

7. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues from yogurt or ice cream, though I have had stomach aches after a milkshake. I recently had a milkshake at Steak 'n Shake, and the stomach ache lasted for hours, along with a naucious feeling.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Some lactose intolerant people can eat yoghurt, but I'm not sure of the details. The bacterias in the yoghurt help you break it down in the stomach.