Am I "logged in" to Google when using iOS mail app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RumorToRuleThemAll, Jan 29, 2017.

1. RumorToRuleThemAll macrumors newbie

Hi, I got this privacy related question. I use the Apple mail app from iOS 9 on my iPhone to access my Gmail. I don't have any Google apps installed on my iPone nor am I logged in to Google with Safari. Am I still "logged in" to Google this way and will Google log my Google search queries to my gmail account or IP address when using the Safari app?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

3. Conan86 macrumors 6502

In short yes. Data collection isn't limited to programs written by the company itself.. basically any data crumbs or trails that links to you will eventually be picked up by data collectors.

4. timeconsumer, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Yes, I would definitely assume that Google is able to connect your IP address (and possibly the device ID) from your search queries to the IP address of the connection between the Mail app and the Gmail servers. Their web servers are definitely logging it as per:

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/key-terms/#toc-terms-server-logs

You could try using DuckDuckGo or Startpage to see if those will work for you.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You are not technically logged in to Google, but you have of course given your permission for the mail client to authenticate using your credentials, which is fine.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you read Google's fine print they have a right to read or use any data to their advantage found in your Gmails. They are pretty up front about the whole thing.