am i mac nut.. Please help I need advice in what to buy..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Nov 14, 2008.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Ok im new here guys. lol.. I like what i am reading on this site and i need help getting an efficient setup.

Im a network administrator/music producer. I only use windows at work and i use macs at home and in the studio.

I have a g5 1.8 ghz with 4 gigs of ram to run logic studio and a ton of soft synths. and i have a mac mini g4 1.5. with a gig ram for surfing the web and downloading music and movies to my iphone.

problem is i am moving soon to a new apartment and i don't know if i wanna move with all my studio equipment. I may just leave it at my folks house until i am sure of the neighborhood and that my equipment will be safe.

Right now i want to use a machine that can handle logic studio with all my soft synths, a machine that can handle ripping movies to my iphone, handle my large itunes library over 30 gigs and a burn dvds fast.

Im debating on getting a mac pro but they are too expensive
    a mac book pro is too expensive but i love the look and power of the machine
    mac book (black) is too small to look it but it's powerful
    The new Imacs are great but i have two desktops and don't know should i keep the g5 just in case. ( some of my sounds are powermac only) I would lose a good amount of sounds)
    MBA is nice and ideal but i don't believe it can handle all i want it to do...

Help I cannnot decide but i need a machine that can handle all that i want to do and possibly handle future endeavors and allow me to do everything i want ..

please i need advice...

2. svndmvn Guest

in this order..a new macbook pro,even though you say the regular ones are too small to look professional, but then you talk about the macbook air..
    or a used or refurbished macbook pro
    or a new aluminum macbook, if you don't need firewire and usb is enough
    it kinda depends on the money you want to spend..
    about the size..you already have some screens, hook one up to a new macbook and you should be ok,no?

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

At my college they sell the 2 month "old" Macbook Pros for $800-1000 off (the previous 2.5Ghz $2,499 sells for $1,499 inc. the student discount). So, i recommend getting a friend/brother/sister/brother's friend's uncle's sister's mother or whoever attends a college near you to purchase one. Chances are they would have 'em in stock, and as long as they attend and purchase the machine and you buy it off of them, I see no problem with that.

4. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmm
    the macbook pros sound like the better move. I think im gonna look into the refurbished ones. I don't like the way the new ones really look....

5. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would appreciate more advice people let me know.... I would like to hear more suggestions...