Am i mad to be considering this?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fluidedge, Jan 13, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Using a mac mini to run final cut express. Just final cut express. Keeping the mac mini clean (with the exception of a healthy itunes library say) and just using the mini for 'home office tasks' and video editing.

Perhaps i should explain.

I need to kit myself out with a new machine(s). I have a plan to:

a) buy a mac mini to use with final cut express, build myself a windows box to do my work (maya/cs3) on.

b) buy a mac pro

now don't shoot me down straight away and say get the mac pro! It would be at the top end of my budget to get one, and since i can do maya and CS3 on a powerful windows machine with 8GB RAM, 1TB drives etc for cheaper than the base spec mac i'm leaning towards that.

Its just i need to *infrequently* do some editing on Final Cut (i cant be bothered to learn another system, i like final cut too much)

However the work i do on Final cut is of a 'semi-professional' standard.

So my question is:

Can you run Final Cut Express on a Mac Mini 'comfortably'?

HDD space is my main worry i guess

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you already have Maya and CS3 for Windows? If you need to buy them anyway, then to get a powerful enough machine, you will be spending similar to a Mac pro for the Windows machine, and buying the mac mini, it would be cheaper for you to just have one computer and get the mac pro.

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

yes i do already have them for windows. But they are student versions, and i don't *mind* buying mac versions if i need to. I also have an older version of Maya for mac

4. juanm macrumors 65816

The Mini+PC option will work for some time... But in the end, it will come short, so save yourself money and go for the MP (second hand, if needed). You can put a second hard drive to get Windows running on it, so you don't have to buy anything. You'll still have two empty hard drive bays.

5. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Also it isn't very stable, and you are much better off getting a real Mac.

8. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I have been a long time user of Final Cut Pro.

So, when I bought my girlfriend a MacBook, I decided to also purchase FCE to test it out (since I already had FCP, and also because FCP won't run on the MacBook).

FCE runs just fine on a MacBook, and so, I would think that it would run fine on a Mac Mini, since they are basically the same machines with same hardware.

However, I would not recommend less than 2 GB RAM and you will also want an external drive for a scratch disk (try to get 7,200 rpm firewire).

I would recommend the Mac Pro only if you are making money from your films (or unless you just have a lot of money to burn).

What is it that you need to do with FCE that iMovie can't do?

9. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

10. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i have already been using final cut express for years. In fact i'm wondering about the push up to FCP?

I'm almost certain i'm leaning towards a MP - i'll be living off baked beans for a while, but it'll be worth it!

11. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge