Am I Making The Right Choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 103734, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. 103734 Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #1
    So here is my back story, I use a PC for gaming and it stores all my music and videos, for everything else I use my first generation black macbook, the one with the regular core duo, not the core 2 duo.

    I'm starting college this fall and im studying computer science, and every quarter I will have about $2000 dollars left over from scholarships and grants after paying tuition and books, so let me get to my first question, should I buy a macbook air fall quarter or buy it in spring in anticipation for a update at macwworld

    Next question is how will it compare in performance to the first gen macbook

    And last question is will this be ok for developing for Macs and the iPhone? I been doing basic php/html stuff on my PC and just got into Java so I want to get into xcode, will a macbook air be ok for this?

    Oh yea one more thing, how does photoshop run on it?
     
  2. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #2
    It'll be either the same performance or better than what you have right now. You can wait or you can buy now, its all personal preference if you want it or if you're willing to wait.

    Programming is fine on the MacBook air, no problems at all. Photoshop runs well also, I haven't seen any problems yet.
     
  3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Location:
    Hants
    #3
    I have come from a 17" specced out MBP and noticed much if any difference.
     
  4. 103734 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #4
    when was the last update to the hardware? Or has it not been updated since launch.
     
  5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    #5
    It hasn't been updated since launch :)
     
  6. 103734 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #6
    Well im going to wait till September first, If I don't hear anything about a update by then im going to buy it! :D



    Oh yea one more question!! Can I remote install Windows XP or Vista via remote disk?
     
  7. Googon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2008
    #7
    I don't think you should get one at all. Go with the MacBook Pro. Seriously, who needs a laptop that is really skinny? You are giving so much just for a sleek thin peice of eye candy, which is all it really is. I'd save your money and wait til next quarter, by the the new MacBooks should be out, and you can buy one of them :D.
     
  8. 103734 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #8
    thats what I was thinking too, but I had a first gen macbook pro and the thing was heavy, seems like it would be a pain carrying both it and books around.

    Though if I got the Pro I can get some Counter Strike Source or TF2 in between classes :D


    Arg, well if they announce a update to the MBA before sept 25 then ill go for it. but if not im going to wait for the Pro
     
  9. Ankaa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2008
    #9
    @Googon: Again and again it's amazing what other people think is right and that they decide what other people should or may need :mad:
     
  10. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #10
    The Air with the HD will feel slower than your MacBook possibly, because the HD is 4200 RPM and not 5400 RPM like in your Macbook.
     
  11. 103734 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #11
    how is the macbook air at displaying on external screen, I was thinking about hooking it up to my PC screen which has a native resolution of 1650x1080

    EDIT: decided not to be lazy and looked it up, I can support up to 1900 some by 1200 something

    What it really comes down to is if I want to get in a few rounds of CSS and TF2 between classes or if i want a lightweight notebook.
     
  12. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #12
    I run 1680x1050 w/ Internal 1280x800. There's no major lag. I had the same type of lag on my old MacBook w/ 2.0GHz and 4GB ram
     
  13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #13
    Sounds to me like you'd be better off waiting for the revamped MacBooks.
     
  14. raremage macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2005
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #14
    I tend to agree - the rumors are rampant that a Penryn upgrade is right around the corner.

    I have a 1st week MBA. I would caution you regarding external monitors with the MBA - at least on mine, the heat runs thru the roof and the fans will spin constantly if I run a second screen, even without heavy graphics. If that's important to you, I would encourage you to at least wait for the next rev and see if there is a change (i.e., upgrade) to the onboard graphics chips.
     
  15. kjs862 macrumors 65816

    kjs862

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
  16. nintendude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    CA
    #16
    especially with the possibility of a processor upgrade which might help w/ some of the overheating (correct me if i am wrong)
     
  17. 103734 thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #17
    thanks alot guys it's nice to get some logical/unbaised advice for a change! I think I will wait for now.
     
  18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #18
    That's the point that most people overlook when they say the MBP is not all that heavy (MB is negligibly lighter than the MBP), in isolation that's true but if you are humping a bag full of textbooks around two pounds makes all the difference in the world.
     

Share This Page