Am i making the right move?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickspohn, Jun 5, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Hello guys. Strong iPhone contributor, but i'm new to the mac scene...

Today, my Dell XPS M1710 pretty much died on me.

http://i28.tinypic.com/14ma0ra.jpg

My Video card is pretty much done, and it costs about $600 to get a new one, so screw it, i always wanted a Mac, but...

The 17 inch macbook pro is calling me out. But, i do like to play games on occasion. Can the macbook handle games in bootcamp, or will i see some lag? Nothing to extent though, just the basic games.

Also, anyone here with the glossy screen on their 17 inch? i love glossy screens, so i'm just wondering since im going to pay $90 for it.

And since the student discounts are happening, i think this is a great time to buy.

Is there anything else i should make sure i get with my macbook pro?

I've been looking at the Dell XPS M1730, but that thing is just to big and fugly.

Thanks!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

just check out their specs on the apple site. It will preform very well. It is a high end professional laptop after all.

3. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

You'll want to look carefully at the price difference between the Student developer connection and the standard student discount + iPod.

I went the ADC route and paid just a hair below $2575 (including the ADC cost and tax)(2350 computer, 100 ADC, 125 tax) for a 2.5 penryn, 17" HR matte. This one retails for 2900 and the regular student discount makes this $2700+tax=$2875.

I don't know if ADC student members hardware discount purchases also qualify for a iPod, but I suspect not. If they do, this is a killer deal.

4. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

ADC?

Do you have a link or something?

Not going to lie, im pretty confused. Typing this on my iPhone sucks :(

5. Christian G macrumors newbie

Yep - from what I've heard, the MBP can handle your PC games pretty darn well. For example, here's a video of it doing Crysis on pretty high settings:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXlejyKD1_Y&feature=related

Seeing as though Crysis is one of the most graphically intense games out there (by quite a shot) you should be pretty much fine with almost all other PC games. Everything should be playable from what I've heard.

There are lots of other videos on YouTube of MBPs doing PC games justice via Bootcamp.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It stands are Apple Developer Connection; for regular folks it's a $500-$3500; if you're a student it's only $100. With this you are allowed to buy 1 Mac discounted substantially (I think it's 25% or something like that) in addition to your regular discount of $200 and maybe the current iPod deal as well. Obviously if you're not a student, it's not worth it.

Link: http://developer.apple.com/products/

7. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh DUHHHH i know what ADC is :D

And that is good to hear. Both about playing games and the discount price. I am a student as well.

I plan on buying a macbook for my mother as well as a gift. I can also get the no interest for 90 day deal on the ADC discount right?

I'm going to go to an Apple store too and check them out. Are you sure about the screen? I love the glossyness.

And yes, i'm going to wait until after WWDC to see what's up.

Anything else?

Edit: Scratch that idea. I'm not 18 until 2 more months

8. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

http://developer.apple.com/products/

You will need to fax in proof of student status and current enrollment at a University. More details if you select the student product and look at the details.

It takes about a week for them to verify your student status and you get one lifetime hardware discount plus you get quarterly ADC mailings and a T-shirt

9. CaptainClams macrumors newbie

Whoa, whoa! Are you telling me that you can combine the ADC and Student discounts? Do you only get the free iPod, or do you also get the -$200? I know the ADC discount off a 17" MBP is around $560, so do I get $200 more on top of that, or do I just get the free iPod? Either way is sweet with me, I had no idea they could be combined. Did you have to do anything special to pull this off?

Cheers!

10. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Now i wish i was 18 :(

I'm buying a macbook pro and macbook. Hopefully i can order them separately and get the 2 ipods free too. But i'm not going to lie they student discount already is pretty nice.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe they state 1 promotion per person, so unless you can find another student in the house, you can only get 1 iPod. Also the ADC should be used with big ticket items, say a high end Macbook Pro or a Mac Pro... since it can only be used once.